Road space and section 50 licence
You need a licence to carry out private works or anything which affects or obstructs the highway. A fixed penalty notice may be served on those carrying out unauthorised work.
Before you start work:
Working in the highway
|You need a section 50 licence if you:||You need a road space booking if you:|
- need to dig up the road to repair existing apparatus such as pipe work or cables
- need to place new apparatus such as pipe work or cables in the road, that is or will be in your ownership
- need to have utility-owned apparatus placed in a trench excavated by a third party (a contractor which you have hired that has no connection to any of the utility companies)
If, to undertake the work safely, a temporary traffic restriction is required like a road closure or temporary speed limit, then you will require an additional licence.
- installation of new apparatus applications are charged at £475
- work to existing apparatus applications are charged at £300
Start the section 50 application process
- £25 per application, per phase of work/activity
- £1 for each additional street affected by the same job/activity
Apply for a road space booking
Please note that these are not exhaustive lists and there are many variations which determine what application(s) you need to complete. If you require any assistance before applying, please contact us.
Credit/debit card payment
We recommend secure, fast telephone payment via a credit or debit card. If you choose to pay by card, we will invite you to contact us by phone to make a payment once your application has been approved.
We will invite you to send a signed cheque if your application is approved. Make it payable to Dorset Council for the agreed sum, and send it to Traffic Team, Dorset Highways, County Hall, Collition Park, Dorchester, DT1 1XJ.
Please specify the works reference provided on approval on the reverse of the cheque.