Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice.

Temporary traffic restrictions for motor vehicle trials on public rights of way

You need a licence to hold a motor vehicle trial on Public Rights of Way (footpaths or bridleways).

COVID-19 risk assessments

If you are organising an event where the public are invited to attend, you must carry out event specific risk assessments.

You'll need to submit the risk assessments to our Safety Advisory Group (SAG) along with the normal event management documents. The SAG can then advise us and you if the event complies with current regulations and guidance.

Conditions of application

You should read these conditions before applying:

  1. Applicants must obtain consent in writing to the use of any length of footpath or bridleway for the purposes of the trial from the owner and occupier of land over which that length of footpath or Bridleway runs
  2. If an event crosses a designated Site of Special Scientific Interest, additional written consent will be required from Natural England
  3. Applicants must provide a current and appropriate risk assessment for the event
  4. It is Dorset Council's standard practice, in the interests of safety, to require a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order (TTRO) on all highways (including public rights of way) affected by the event
  5. Notices must be posted ten days prior to the event at every point on the footpaths and bridleways where the trial route enters or leaves them
  6. Marshals must be posted at all points where the trial route coincides with or crosses a footpath or bridleway. Marshals will carry copies of the TTRO and section 33 consent in case of a challenge by the public trying to use the rights of way
  7. The footpaths and Bridleways must be restored to the condition in which they were in at the start of the trials within fourteen days

Apply for a licence

Applications must be submitted at a minimum of 15 weeks before the event.

You can also enquire about events on the highway.

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.