Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice.

Adding or changing the name of an existing house or property

If a property has a number, you can add a name to it without applying to us. This means:

  • the name is not part of the official address
  • you must still display the number and always use it in the address
  • you need to be careful that there is not a property with a similar name nearby

If you wish the name to form part of the official address, or the property doesn't have a number, you will need to apply to us. This means:

  • if you have a number, you must still display it and always use it in the address
  • we will make sure there are no properties with a similar name nearby
  • we will send approved changes to:

    • internal council departments
    • Royal Mail
    • certain statutory bodies
    • the Emergency Services

If you don't know the postcode, use this form

If you need a paper copy, contact us.

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.