Milton Abbas Neighbourhood Plan 2019-2031
Following the successful examination of the Milton Abbas Neighbourhood Plan, Dorset Council has agreed that the plan, as amended, can proceed to referendum. The council released a Decision Statement on 14 September 2020 to this effect.
Regulations linked to the Coronavirus Act 2020 mean that neighbourhood plan referendums cannot take place until 6 May 2021. These measures mean that neighbourhood plans may come into force later than they would have done. With this in mind the Government has updated current planning guidance to set out that neighbourhood plans awaiting referendums can be given significant weight in decision making.
The Milton Abbas Neighbourhood Plan Referendum Draft should therefore be taken into account and given significant weight in decision-making, so far as the plan is material to the application.
Mr David Kaiserman BA DipTP MRTPI issued his report on the submitted Milton Abbas Neighbourhood Plan on 14 July 2020. He concludes that provided the recommendations that he makes are followed, then the plan would meet the basic conditions. He therefore recommends that the plan, as modified, can proceed to referendum. Dorset Council’s Portfolio Holder for Planning, Cllr David Walsh, will decide, in due course, whether the plan should proceed to referendum.
In accordance with Regulation 17 of The Neighbourhood Planning (General) Regulations 2012, the submitted plan, supporting documents, and all representations received during the 6-week consultation period were sent to an Independent Examiner (Mr David Kaiserman BA DipTP MRTPI). The Examiner considers whether the plan meets certain basic conditions, satisfies legal requirements, and will identify an appropriate area for a referendum.
On 20 April 2020, the examiner issued a set of questions addressed to Dorset Council and to Milton Abbas Parish Council. The questions and answers are provided below:
Consultation on the submitted plan
As the local planning authority, Dorset Council was required to consult on the plan before the examination took place. This consultation took place for six weeks from Friday 31 January to Friday 13 March 2020. The responses received during this period are below.
Representations received to the submitted Milton Abbas Neighbourhood Plan
Milton Abbas Neighbourhood Plan - Submission documents
- Milton Abbas Neighbourhood Plan (Submission version, December 2019)
- Consultation Statement (December 2019, incl Jan 2020 update)
- Basic Conditions Statement (December 2019)
- Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) – screening statement (July 2019)
- Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) – environmental report (June 2019 & November 2019 addendum)
Plus additional evidence:
- Green Spaces Assessment (2019, Milton Abbas Neighbourhood Plan Group)
- Housing Density Assessment (2018, Milton Abbas Neighbourhood Plan Group)
- Important Views Assessment (2019, Milton Abbas Neighbourhood Plan Group)
- Housing Needs Assessment (January 2020, Milton Abbas Neighbourhood Plan Group)
- Milton Abbas Neighbourhood Plan - Site Assessment Report (February 2019, AECOM Limited)
Other supporting evidence used, available on-line
- An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Dorset, Volume 3, Central (1970, Royal Commission on Historical Monuments of England / British History Online)
- Dark Skies Map (CPRE)
- Dorset AONB Landscape Guidelines: Upper Milborne Valley
- Dorset AONB Management Plan 2019-24 (2019, Dorset AONB Partnership)
- Dorset Explorer mapped constraints (Dorset Council)
- Guidance Notes for the Reduction of Obtrusive Light GN01 (2011, The Institute of Lighting Professionals)
- Milton Abbas as described in Wikipedia
- Milton Abbas Community Website
- Milton Abbas Conservation Area Appraisal March (March 2014, North Dorset District Council)
- Milton Abbas History Group
- Milton Abbas report in the Dorset Historic Towns Project report (February 2011, Dorset County Council)
- Milton Abbas Street Fair
- Milton Abbas Visitor Information
- National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) (February 2019, Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government)
- Nitrogen Reduction in Poole Harbour SPD (April 2017, various Dorset Local Planning Authorities)
- North Dorset Landscape Character Assessment (March 2008, North Dorset District Council)
- North Dorset Local Plan Part 1 (January 2016, North Dorset District Council)
- Planning practice guidance (PPG) (various, Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government)