If your Penalty Charge Notice (PCN)  hasn't been paid within 28 days of issue we will follow the process laid down in statute  - The Civil Enforcement of Parking Contraventions (England) Representations and Appeals Regulations 2007

Notice to Owner (NTO)

If the PCN remains unpaid, the council will make enquiries to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) to find out the registered keeper of the vehicle. A Notice to Owner (NTO) will be sent to the registered keeper.

If you are the driver but not the registered keeper you should inform the registered keeper about the PCN. On receipt of the NTO you can either make payment or make a formal representation to the council on one of the statutory grounds as outlined on the form.

The PCN will be cancelled if one or more of the specified grounds is established. The PCN may be cancelled for other compelling reasons even if none of the specified grounds apply. If the PCN is cancelled any sums already paid will be refunded.

If your representations are received in time or are received late but are taken into account, Dorset Council will let you know its decision in writing within 56 days. If it fails to do so, the PCN will be cancelled and any sums already paid will be refunded. If your representations are rejected, you have the right to appeal against that decision to an independent Adjudicator. 

Charge Certificate

If the PCN remains unpaid a Charge Certificate will be issued and the amount due will increase by 50%. It is at this stage too late to appeal against the PCN. If payment is received within 14 days the case will be closed. If payment is not received the council will apply to have the debt registered in the County Court.

Order for Recovery made at Traffic Enforcement Centre (TEC), Northampton County Court

The council will register the debt at TEC. The charge due is now increased by the court registration fee of £8. If payment is received within 21 days the case is closed. If you do not make payment you may file a Witness Statement. You may make a witness statement under the following grounds, which apply to you.

• You paid the penalty charge notice in full. You must provide details of the date payment was made, the method of payment i.e. cash, cheque etc. and who the payment was made to. Please note you may be asked to provide proof of payment upon request.

• You did not receive the notice to owner / penalty charge notice.

• You made representations about the penalty charge to the Local Authority within 28 days service of the notice to owner / penalty charge notice and you did not receive a reply (rejection notice).

• You appealed against the Local Authority’s decision to reject your representation within 28 days service of the rejection notice, but you had no response to your appeal.

Proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against you if you make or cause to be made a false statement in an application verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in its truth.

Warrant obtained. Case sent to Bailiffs

If payment is not made within 21 days we will apply for a warrant from TEC at Northampton County Court. Enforcement Agents (bailiffs) may be instructed to collect the outstanding amount.

Share this page