Keeping your home clean and tidy helps keep you safe and healthy. There are things you can do to make it easier for you.
Make tidying and cleaning easier
You can make tidying and cleaning the house yourself easier.
There are companies that sell items that let you clean with less bending. Others sell technology that does some of the cleaning for you.
Make cleaning easier by:
- buying an attachment to hold a mop or broom with less strain
- getting a grabber to pick things up without bending down
- finding out about robot vacuums with Which? (to see the vacuums it recommends, you need to subscribe which costs money, after a free trial)
You may find it hard to clean and tidy, even if you can do other jobs O.K. If you cannot get help from people you know, get a cleaner and make living at home easier.
You can meet them first and ask them to come every week or two if you are happy. Some also do other jobs like shopping or taking you to appointments.
- check a list of local cleaners (Dorset website Help & Kindness)
- see some questions to ask when you meet possible cleaners
- get cleaning and other home help from Age UK for a fee
Clear clutter from your home
If you live with clutter, this can make cleaning harder and even lead to accidents. It can feel difficult to know where to start.
You can get help with clutter by:
- finding out about local organisations who can help you to de-clutter:
- reading about getting help to clear clutter on a house-cleaning website (In the Wash)
- getting an idea of how much professional help with clutter might cost (In the Wash)
Get help with your garden
You can make sure you keep your garden looking tidy. Find someone who can help.
See a local organisation that can help with garden upkeep (local website Help & Kindness).
Ask Age UK about its service to prune and weed and provide other help.