Dorset libraries volunteering opportunities for young people aged 14 to 25
We support a well established volunteering program for young people aged 14 to 25 in all libraries.
Most volunteer roles have a minimum requirement of 10 hours in total. Further hours and times can be flexible.
Young volunteers can be accredited for volunteering or we offer support if you are already working towards an award. Find out about Duke of Edinburgh Award volunteering.
Summer Reading Challenge Champion
The Summer Reading Challenge Volunteer role includes:
- promoting and joining up children to the Summer Reading Challenge
- talking to children (mainly aged 4-11) about their books
- handing out their rewards and incentives
- encouraging them to share their enthusiasm for reading
- helping with displays and activities in the library
Why you should volunteer for the Summer Reading Challenge.
Volunteering with the Summer Reading Challenge has been such a thrilling and rewarding experience, one which has most definitely improved my confidence as well as my CV!"
Jade, Summer Reading Challenge Volunteer 2016.
Activity and events volunteer
Activity and events volunteer role includes:
- helping children to complete the Arts Award
- preparing materials
- assisting children and families at craft and story sessions
- opportunities to assist the Reading and Learning Team with creating, marketing, promoting and hosting of events
You must complete the Code Club mandatory training before we can link you to one of our clubs.
Digital Champion Volunteer role includes:
- help computer users to access Learn My Way to use online basics like using a mouse, touchscreen controls and setting up email addresses
- signpost computer users to Online Plus for a range of services including online banking, forms, shopping online, and FaceBook
- help with printing
- help with accessing the library 24/7 service
- help with downloading ebooks and audiobooks
- help with scanning documents and attaching them to emails
Other volunteering opportunities for young people
Find out about other volunteering opportunities.