Books for health
Find books that can help with health:
Mood Boosting Books
Pick up a pick-me-up at your local library.
Research shows that reading improves mental well-being whatever the weather! If you are feeling stressed, depressed or just want a bit of a pick-me-up, boost your mood with a recommended read.
Libraries are the ideal place to find a mood-boosting book. As community hubs, libraries are also great places to:
- sample a book group
- meet others
- get reading recommendations
The books are all recommended by readers and reading groups. This includes books chosen by:
It includes books ranging from novels and non-fiction to poetry and graphic novels. To read one of these books:
Reading Well Books on Prescription
Books on Prescription helps you understand and manage your health and wellbeing with self-help reading. Health professionals endorse Books on Prescription.
It also signposts people to other wellbeing services in libraries, including:
- social and recreational activity such as reading groups
- community volunteering
Books on prescription for young people
Provides recommended reading to help you:
- understand and manage your mental health and wellbeing
- build emotional resilience
The scheme provides advice, information and support on a range of issues such as:
- exam stress
Young people can be referred to titles on the booklist by health professionals such as:
- school counsellors
- school nurses
- Children and Young People's Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (CYP IAPT) practitioners
The scheme may be used while waiting for, or alongside, other forms of treatment as a key element in a supported programme. It can also be used as a stand-alone treatment for young people that GPs have not yet referred to CYP IAPT services.
View the Reading Well for young people booklist
Books on prescription for long term conditions
Provides people living with long term conditions and their carers with:
- expert endorsed health information
- self-management support
The book list has titles covering:
- general information on living well with a long term condition
- specific conditions like diabetes, arthritis, COPD, asthma, heart disease, angina, IBS and stroke
- symptom-based titles about:
- mental health related to living with a long term condition
- sleeping difficulties
- pain management
- other titles, including:
- titles for family and carers
- fiction and personal stories related to living with a long term condition
View the Reading Well for long term conditions booklist
More Reading Well resources
You may also be interested in the Reading Well mood-boosting books list.
The items listed in the booklist are just a taster of the type of stock that we hold. You can request specific titles that are not in stock via:
We have many books and resources that can help you and your family support your child's wellbeing.
The children's wellbeing books are recommended by professionals to help you understand issues such as:
View the supporting children's wellbeing leaflet