Volunteering in the arts has many benefits. For the volunteer it provides an opportunity to learn and share valuable skills, experience and knowledge and it is a great way to make friends, support your local community and increase your employment prospects. For the groups and organisations that rely on volunteers, this help is invaluable and without the support of volunteers many would not be able to undertake the full range of opportunities that they run.
Volunteering in the arts can come in many forms:
- regularly in local arts centres, theatres, galleries
- occasionally or seasonally at specific events, festivals and productions
- for local amateur and community groups such as bands and orchestras, amateur dramatics, carnival groups, knitting circles
- within boards of trustees
As a volunteer in the arts you could be doing a huge range of activities:
- providing administration support
- helping with IT or Finance
- supporting arts workshops and projects
- being on a Board of Trustees
- supporting marketing and publicity
- helping with refreshments and catering
- or anything else that is needed
In Dorset, we are committed to ensuring everyone has the chance to participate in the arts. If you would like to find out more about the volunteer placements that are currently available please contact Dorset Volunteer Centre.
If you are an arts organisation, club, group or festival and you are seeking volunteers to support your arts activity or you would like more information about opportunities, training and development support then please register with the Dorset Volunteer Centre.
If you are a community group that is run almost entirely by volunteers and you would like advice about how your group could develop then visit our Voluntary and Community Arts webpage.
There are also a large number of opportunities in other cultural sectors such as museums, libraries, adult learning, sports and heritage.
Volunteering Dorset - how can I volunteer? is the central point of contact for all of these enquiries in Dorset, so please get in touch to find out more.