Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler.  Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Grants and loans for homes in disrepair

We have some limited funds available to help home owners, tenants or landlords to carry out works of repair or improvement.. Every year we publish our grants and loans policy which details the financial assistance that we can give and who is eligible to apply. Some of the grants and loans available are the same across Dorset, however other forms of assistance are only available in specific areas.

We also offer help and financial assistance to support disabled residents to safely access facilities within the home. These grants are provided by the Dorset Accessible Homes Service.

The types of grants and loans 

The range of assistance varies and may include some of the following:

  • a grant to carry out major adaptations to the homes of disabled people. For further information contact the Dorset Accessible Homes Service

  • a small grant called and Safe and Secure grant for residents over the age of 50 and in receipt of a means tested benefit to carry out essential works to promote safe and independent living. For further information contact Dorset Accessible Homes Service

  • energy efficiency grants to help with the cost of providing loft or cavity wall insulation. Further advice on these grants can be found on our energy efficiency pages

  • empty property loan to help with the cost of works necessary to bring empty properties back into use. (Purbeck area only.)

  • residents in West Dorset and Weymouth and Portland can benefit from a set of loans for major repair and renovation works the loans are provided by the councils partner; Wessex Resolutions CIC, who provide comprehensive support to all applicants throughout the application process and works. Find out more:

Find out about home improvement loans for repairing your house from Wessex Resolutions.
Find out about home improvement loans for repairing your house from Wessex Resolutions.

Essential or emergency work to your home

If you need financial help to carry out essential or emergency works to your home the following organisations may also be able to assist.

Emergency Local Assistance

The new Emergency Local Assistance provides grants for Dorset residents in a crisis or a situation that poses an immediate threat to their health and safety.

Dorset Accessible Home Service

A service that can assist in finding alternative sources of funding for small, essential building work from government, charity and benevolent associations.

Royal British Legion

Financial assistance and help for those with a service connection.

Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association

Practical, emotional and financial support for anyone who is serving or has ever served in the armed forces and their families.

Royal Agricultural Benevolent Institution

Support for those with a background working in agriculture.

Further information

For further information on grants for disabled and older people please contact the Dorset Accessible Homes Service directly.

Rate this page

Have some feedback?

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.