This information is for new applicants only. If you are carrying out a re-registration process to remain on the housing register see our re-registration page.
Before you can apply to join the Dorset Council Housing Register you will need to create an online customer account and will need an email address. Once you have created an account you will receive a confirmation email and will then be able to complete and register.
Once you have a customer account you will be able to:
- submit an application to the housing register
- see the status of your application
- receive email messages and actions from the housing team
- respond to actions asking you to submit your documents by uploading them from your computer or phone
- receive all your correspondence from the housing team and refer to them at any time
- see all types of properties that are advertised
- bid on properties once you have received notification of your banding assessment
Create an account
You will need an email address to create an account
If you do not have an email address
Setting up an email address is quick and easy to do. The three most popular providers are gmail.google.com, Hotmail.com and mail.yahoo.com. In the address bar at the top of your browser, type the address of the email provider you want to use then do the following:
- visit the email providers website and select the option for ‘create account’ provide the necessary personal details
- create a password – it needs to be something you will remember but shouldn't be easy for others to guess
- make a note of any security questions you answer as these may help you reset your password if you forget it
- agree to the terms and conditions of the service
Once you have completed the process you are ready to go and can use your email address to send and receive emails.
What happens next
Once you have confirmed and submitted your application, the status of your application will be updated on your ‘My account Home Page’.
You will receive actions on your online customer account asking you to submit any documents.
Once your application has been assessed, you will be notified by email, this will prompt you to log into your account.
Your assessment will explain your reasonable preference band and the reason for that, your effective date and bedroom entitlement.
Bidding for properties
We are currently carrying out a re-registration of all existing applicants and are moving to a new system. This work will be completed by 1 December 2021, this means bidding for properties will start at that time.
If your circumstances change this may affect your assessment. Please complete our online form to tell us about any changes in your circumstances.
Any information we hold will be kept securely by Dorset Council in line with General Data Protection Regulations.