Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice.

Water supply testing

Important message for supply owners and users of private water supplies

In response to current Government advice on COVID-19 and the avoidance of transmission, Dorset Council has postponed all outstanding private water supply sampling. These will be rescheduled for later in the calendar year.

Sampling is a means of validating that the risk mitigation measures in place such as source protection, treatment, storage etc. are effective.

In line with the guidance from the Drinking Water Inspectorate and World Health Organisation, we recommend that consumers and other relevant persons of private water supplies bolster their operational checks and ensure that maintenance is being carried out as required. This will include replacing UV lamps; monitoring chlorine dose; making sure there are sufficient spares of essential equipment and ensuring supplies remain wholesome at all times. Actions must be documented and available for inspection should Dorset Council have concerns that there is an ongoing risk to health.

For further information please contact


Most properties within the Dorset area receive their water from a water company (mains supply), but some depend on smaller private water supplies.

Depending where you live, mains water is provided by either:

These companies must rigorously test the quality of their supplies to check that they comply with national standards. The results are publicly available - usually on their websites.


Water quality

If your complaint relates to the quality of a mains supply we recommend that you contact your supplying company initially. You can contact us if you are unhappy with their response.

Other complaints

For complaints such as billing and meter charging, please contact  OFWAT.

For complaints about rivers, seawater, reservoirs or other water courses please contact the  Environment Agency

Contact us:

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.