Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice.

Home education

Most children will usually attend their local school, but some parents decide to take responsibility for their child's education outside the school system. This is known as elective home education (EHE).

As a parent you have the right to educate your child at home. If you choose to do this, you're taking full responsibility for providing that education. You can educate your child yourself, or by making arrangements for someone else to educate them.

Find out more on our information for parents page if you're thinking about home educating your child. 

You can also contact our EHE administrator.

What to do if you decide to home educate

If your child is already at school, you must write to the head teacher to tell them you're going to educate at home. This is a legal requirement, which means your child will stay on the school roll until they receive your letter telling them you want to home educate.


Flexi-schooling, or flexible school attendance, is an arrangement between the parent and school . This arrangement is where the child is registered at the school but only attends part-time. The rest of the time the child is home educated on authorised absence from school.

Flexi-schooling is a legal option which you can use if the head teacher at your child's school agrees to the arrangement. 

Organisations and groups

There are many groups and organisations that offer advice, support and resources for families who want to home educate. 

The organisations we've listed are provided as useful information for parents. Dorset County Council does not endorse these organisations and it's up to you as parents to check suitability. 

These groups may help you:

These websites can provide support for home education:

Find out more about home education

Complete this EHE questionnaire and return it to the address below for more information from our adviser.

Elective Home Education (EHE) administrator

Name: Lisa Linscott
Full contact details for Elective Home Education (EHE) administrator

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.