Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice

Starting secondary or upper school

Apply for a secondary or upper school place to start in September 2020

The closing date for applications was 31 October 2019. If you apply for a school place now we will class your application as late.

If you applied between 31 October 2019 and 28 February 2020 we'll consider your application in our late round and we'll tell you about your offer on 30 March 2020.

If you applied after the 28 February we cannot tell you about your offer of a school place until mid April 2020.

Before you apply:

  • if your child has an education, health and care (EHC) plan do not complete this form. Find out how to apply for a school place if your child has an EHC plan 

  • if you live in Dorset (not Bournemouth, Christchurch or Poole), and pay your Council Tax to Dorset Council, apply to us for a secondary or upper school place, even if you want to apply for a school in another local authority area
  • check your local council area if you're not sure which local authority area you should apply to
  • read our parents' guide for information about the different types of schools and how to apply
  • read the admissions policies for schools you're interested in; you can find these on a school's website
  • check  Dorset's Local Offer for information on support for children with special educational needs and disabilities

Or view schools by catchment area.

You may have to complete an additional form if you want to apply to religious schools. This is an extra form which should be sent to the schools themselves, unless stated differently, and is not instead of an application form.

For other year groups you should make an  in year application.

Apply for a secondary or upper school place

List up to 3 schools in order of preference. One of these schools should be your catchment school. You'll receive a confirmation email once you've submitted your application.

Make sure you've sent any required medical evidence to our school’s admissions team. We can only consider your application based on the evidence you've submitted by the relevant closing date.

If you can't apply online

If you can't apply online, fill in and return a paper application form, this should be posted by the relevant closing date. Make sure you include proof of posting:

Apply for a place at upper school

Apply for a place at secondary school

How we tell you about an offer of a school place

We send out offers for all on-time applications for children starting secondary or upper school by email if you have applied online or by second class post on 2 March 2020.

We will:

  • tell you about your transport entitlement by letter only, not over the phone 
  • get the information to you by email if you applied online
  • only discuss the information with the people listed on the application
  • let you know your outcome, unless your application is late 

We cannot discuss available places at school as the number changes frequently.

What to do when you have a school place offer

We automatically assume you want to accept a school place.

If you want to turn down a school place or you want us to add your child to the waiting list, you must respond to the school place offer by:

  • 16 March 2020 for on-time applications
  • 13 April 2020 for late applications

You must provide the reason as to why you are declining your offered school place. You can only request for your child to be added to a particular school's waiting list if you've already applied for this school and been refused a place at it.

Find out more about school waiting lists.

Making changes to your submitted application

If you want to make changes to your submitted application, you need to complete a change of preference form:

We process applications based on the information you provide in your application. This means if you change your address after 31 October 2019, we'll process your application using the address you were living at as of the closing date. Your change of address will be considered in our late round.

Apply for a place at a secondary school in Christchurch

Go to the BCP Council webpageto apply for a place at a secondary school in Christchurch if you're a BCP Council resident.

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.