This information is for young people aged from 16 to 24 years with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND).

Apply for post 16 SEND travel assistance

Find out if you are eligible for travel assistance.

Before you apply please note the following:

  • you must apply for post 16 transport every year
  • we must receive your application by 31 May 2021 in order to ensure transport is ready for the start of the school term in September. If you are applying after this date then your application will be reviewed as soon as is possible
  • if we approve your application we can only give you travel assistance once we've received a students full timetable

Apply for post 16 SEND travel assistance

Apply for SEND travel assistance for 2021 to 2022 by downloading the application form

Contact the SEND travel team if you need a paper copy of the post 16 SEND travel assistance application form, or cannot access the document.

Travel costs

Post 16 students under the age of 19 must pay a contribution towards their travel assistance. This includes students with an education, health and care (EHC) plan.

Post 16 SEND travel assistance charges for academic year 2021 to 2022

The travel cost for September 2021 to July 2022 is £800 for the year, this applies to all post 16 students under the age of 19.

Some students will qualify for a half price fee of £400 if they are a Dorset resident and meet the following criteria, the student must:

  • live in the Dorset Council area; this applies even if they are attending a school or sixth form in another authority
  • be under 19 on 31 August immediately before the start of the academic year or under 25 for those with an education, health and care plan
  • live over 5 miles from their nearest or most appropriate school or sixth form
  • be in full time education (16 hours or more over 3 or more days a week)
  • receive one of the following benefits as a family or individual:
    • maximum level of Working Tax Credit
    • income Support
    • income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
    • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    • support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
    • the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
    • Child Tax Credit (provided you are not entitled to Working Tax Credit, and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
    • Working Tax Credit run-on, paid for 4 weeks after you no longer qualify for Working Tax Credit
    • Universal Credit
  • or have a compelling medical circumstance before the age of 16 which meant they had travel assistance and they have a case for it to continue. You must also give evidence with your application from an appropriate Medical Officer. For full details see the post 16 transport policy

Who can claim post 16 SEND travel assistance

We assist post 16 students with special educational needs and/or disabilities (SEND) to get to school and take part in post 16 education, but they must meet the following criteria. Young people could claim travel assistance if they are:

  • aged 16 to 24 as of the 31 August of the previous academic year and have an education, health and care (EHC) plan
  • unable to get to school or college due to their mobility difficulties, SEN or disability
  • residents in the Dorset Council (DC) area
  • in full time education (16 hours, or more at least 3 days a week)
  • attending their nearest, appropriate educational establishment
  • progressing from one level of study to the next, such as level 1 to level 2 and so on, completing one course and moving to the next
  • showing how consolidation of learning will enable the next step towards agreed outcomes; this could be educational outcomes or career progression

What post 16 SEND travel assistance covers

If your application is successful, Dorset Travel will providence you with travel assistance to your school or college.

Assisted travel is only available: 

  • for one inward and one outward journey to and from school or college at the beginning and end of the day. This may not be according to the start and finish of the timetable day
  • between the same pick up and drop off points each day. The parent or carer will have to organise and pay for journeys outside of this arrangement 

Assistance does not cover induction and taster days or work experience.

If students move out of the Dorset Council area during their course, they must apply to their new council for assistance.

How to pay for post 16 SEND travel assistance

We will contact you to arrange payment once we process your application. We will offer you the chance to pay in one lump sum or instalments. You can pay by Direct Debit.

If you do not keep up to date with payments, we may withdraw your student's travel pass.

Refunds for post 16 SEND travel assistance

You can request a refund if your circumstances have changed. For example if you have moved house.

What to do if you cannot get post 16 SEND travel assistance

Appeal your post 16 SEND travel assistance request

If your application for travel assistance was unsuccessful and refused in writing, you can appeal.

To appeal in writing complete the post 16 transport appeal form and return as directed in the form.

You can only make one appeal per academic year, unless there is a vast change to your circumstances. Make sure you include all related information and documentation on your form.

If you do not qualify for post 16 SEND travel assistance

Find out your options if you do not qualify for post 16 SEND travel assistance.

Share this page