Dorset Education Advice Line is a phone line for parents, carers and professionals who support children who may have special educational needs and disabilities (SEND). This advice line is part of our Local Offer to children, young people and families and will work alongside existing services such as SENDIASS and the Education Psychology helpline. 

Make an appointment

You can book a 30 minute appointment with one of our SEND Family Workers by using our online form, this is the quickest way to contact us:

If you aren't able to do so, contact us and someone can make this booking for you over the phone.

Opening times

Our lines are open:
  • Monday to Friday
  • 10am to 4pm
  • term time only

What we can help with

A special educational needs (SEN) Family Worker can talk through concerns you may have about:
•    academic development
•    social and emotional development 
•    transition concerns  (this is transition in the wider sense like Early Years to primary school, primary to secondary school or secondary school to further education or into the workplace)

We will offer advice and show you where to find support. We cannot refer you to other services from this conversation.

We can also discuss the Graduated Approach with you during this call. The Graduated Approach covers what schools and educational settings can do to support your child.

The service is not able to help with queries about an existing education, health and care plan (EHCP). If your child has an EHCP contact your SEN Provision Lead.
For queries about health issues contact your health professionals like your GP, health visitor.

Dorset Education Advice Line (DEAL)

Tel: Freephone 0800 14 040 41
Full contact details