Easton Community Group
The Easton Community Group has been up and running for seven years and has 30 very committed members who are working tirelessly to ensure that the gardens are at the centre of village life.
The group is chaired by local resident, Ted Payne, who is assisted by Secretary/Treasurer, June Morley, and committee members Alf Bonner, Bob Cornock, Liz Babb and Pat Bolt.
The group received a £15,000 Living Spaces grant to carry out restoration and improvement works within the Gardens. They've also received a number of contributions from Court Leet, Portland Rotary Club, ITV Westcountry, the former Weymouth & Portland Borough Council and Albion Stone for various projects.
The residents of Easton can be proud of their gardens as they maintain a 'garden of excellence' status for the third year running. The Community Group have been working in partnership with the former Borough Council for a number of years and together have achieved this nationally recognised Green Flag Award. Portland parks have now transferred to Portland Town Council.
Projects and improvements
Below are some examples of the type of projects and improvements that have been funded by the Easton Community Group;
- new railings around the play area were installed and plants for the flowerbeds
- re-painting of the Monkey Hut
- a new basketball backboard and net
- new gates have been installed onto the two main entranceways into the gardens and these have been funded by Easton Community Group, Court Leet and Portland Rotary Club
- new welcome signs, new notice board, recycling bin and an interpretation panel were also installed
- path networks in the gardens were upgraded
- cleaning of all the stone work in the gardens was carried out
- additional shrub planting around the toilet block was carried out
- the Property Services Section arranged for the installation of new CCTV cameras
- the Property Services Section has purchased new Christmas lights for the trees in the gardens
A youth group 'doing good' projects saw half a dozen teenagers give up their free time in the summer holidays to paint some of the play equipment in Easton Gardens. This project received regional TV coverage.
There are number of events held in the gardens, from Royal Manor Workshops and Barnardos 'Summer Fun in the Park' event to regular summer fayres.
For further information please contact Portland Town Council