Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice.

Hedgerows and high hedges

It is the responsibility of an owner or occupier of private land or property to ensure that frontage hedges, or other vegetation, do not overhang or protrude onto the highway or footpath and restrict passage of pedestrians or vehicles.

Hedges should be cut back to the boundary, or vertically above the rear of a footpath to a height of 2.2m.


Many countryside hedgerows are protected by the Hedgerow Regulations 1997. The Hedgerow Regulations were introduced to help address the widespread loss of countryside hedgerows that had occurred due to intensification of farming methods. The regulations introduced new arrangements for local planning authorities in England and Wales to protect important hedgerows in the countryside, by controlling their removal through a system of notification. It is unlawful to remove or destroy certain hedgerows without the written permission of your local planning authority.

Important hedgerows are those that:

  • mark the boundary of a historic parish or township existing before 1850
  • contain or are within an archaeological feature which is on the Sites and Monuments Record, or a pre 1600 manor or estate
  • are part of or are associated with a field system predating the Enclosure Acts
  • contain species in part one of Schedule 5; or Schedule 8 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981; or defined in Schedule 3 of the regulations plus at least 2 associated features
  • include one or more of the following: at least 7 woody species, at least 6 woody species plus at least 3 Associated Features, at least 6 woody species including a black poplar; large-leaved lime, small-leaved lime or wild service tree, at least 5 woody species and at least 4 associated features

Which hedgerows are covered by the regulations?

Hedgerows on or adjacent to the following:

  • common land
  • village greens
  • sites of scientific special interest
  • local nature reserves
  • land used for agriculture, forestry or for the breeding or keeping of horses, ponies or donkeys

The regulations do not apply to garden hedges (which are defined as hedgerows within or marking the boundary of the curtilage of a dwelling house).

What happens when a landowner wants to remove a hedgerow? 

Any landowner who wishes to remove a hedgerow must serve a Hedgerow Removal Notice in writing. We then have 42 days to determine whether or not the hedge is considered 'important' under the regulations, and if so, whether or not to issue a retention notice, even if the hedgerow counts as important.

Make an application

Apply and make payment online to get permission to remove a hedge.

Alternatively you can download and print our paper version of the application.

High hedges

If you're involved in a dispute with another resident over a high hedge, you must first try and resolve the issue between you. Try talking or writing to the person responsible for the hedge, or using a mediation service.

If you have tried all methods to resolve the dispute you can complain to the council. To complain, you must have evidence to show you have tried to address the problem in the last 6 months and has failed. This could include records of letters, conversations and mediation. The council may decline to investigate a complaint if they feel you have not taken all reasonable steps to resolve the matter.

The high hedges act

We may take action against the owner of a property where such a high hedge is growing that the hedge forms a barrier to light or access. Meaning the owner or occupier of a neighbouring property has his reasonable enjoyment of that property adversely affected. Formal action by the council could require the owner of the hedge to reduce its height to a maximum of 2 metres. However we could not instruct that the hedge be completely removed.

Please note: you will have to pay a fee of £450 to make a complaint.

For general advice, contact us and see:

Contact us

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.