Your rubbish and recycling collections over the festive period will be different from your usual day of the week.
Refer to your calendar or see our bin day checker to see your usual collection days.
|Usual collection day||Revised collection day|
|Friday 23 December||no change|
|Monday 26 December||Tuesday 27 December|
|Tuesday 27 December||Wednesday 28 December|
|Wednesday 28 December||Thursday 29 December|
|Thursday 29 December||Friday 30 December|
|Friday 30 December||Saturday 31 December|
|Monday 2 January 2023||no change|
- we will collect up to two extra sacks of rubbish beside your bin on your first rubbish collection after Christmas Day
- no garden waste collections will take place from Christmas Eve until Monday 9 January
- household recycling centres are open from 9am to 4pm daily, except Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day
- extra recycling, including glass and food, will be collected on your recycling collection day, provided it has been separated correctly and placed in a suitable sturdy container (no bags or cardboard boxes) that can be easily lifted by one person
- please help our crews by putting your glass out for collection before Christmas
This ensures you have as much space as possible in your glass box, helping prevent over spilling containers, and reduces the amount of extra glass we collect over the busy festive period.
Many households produce extra waste over Christmas, but much of it can be recycled using your kerbside Recycle for Dorset service. Remember that you can recycle:
- cooked and uncooked food, using your food waste bin
- wrapping paper (not foil or glittery paper, please)
- cardboard and recyclable packaging (not polystyrene)
- Christmas cards and envelopes (no glitter)
Dorset Council does not collect Christmas trees of any kind with rubbish or recycling at the kerbside.
You can recycle your real Christmas tree by:
- home composting it
- cutting it up and placing it in your garden waste bin
- taking it to a household recycling centre
- booking a Christmas tree collection with a Dorset-based charity or service:
- Blandford Young Farmers and Sandbanks Cancer Ward, Poole Hospital - covers the Verwood, Wimborne and Blandford area. To book a collection email Blandfordfc1@hotmail.com or telephone (07730) 398975
- Diverse Abilities - covers the East Dorset area
- Lewis-Manning Hospice - covers the Wareham, Portland, Swanage and East Dorset area
- Weldmar Hospice - covers all Dorset Council areas apart from Wareham, Swanage and East Dorset
- Dorset Mind - covers Swanage, Wareham, Wimborne, Verwood, Ringwood and Ferndown