Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice.

Getting help to manage your money

Where can I find out about opening a bank account?

With your own bank account you can:
  • save money
  • check what money you have and see what you are spending 
  • pay your own bills
  • take out your own money when you need it

You could have a look online for information or speak to your parent, carer, a family member or friend for advice. They can help you research banks and find out which would best meet your needs. 

It's best to visit the bank so you can chat to a member of staff. You could bring a family member or friend with you for support.

See the Money Advice Service guidance on opening a bank account. This includes advice on choosing the right account and how to manage it.

Help to manage your money

What happens if I am struggling to manage my own money?

If you are struggling to manage your money, speak to your parent, carer or your social worker and they can organise support.

This could include:

  • your parent or carer
  • a family member
  • independent financial advocate. This is an independent person who will help you manage your money and will act in your best interest
  • your service provider (if you are eligible)

Tools to support you

To help you budget your money, use the Money Advice Service budget planners. These can help you:

  • work out what money you have left after paying your bills/expenses
  • see a detailed breakdown of your spending. This will show you where your money is going to help you save costs

What if I cannot manage my own money?

Not everybody has the capacity to make decisions about and manage their own money. If you've had a mental capacity assessment and you don't have capacity, you will need somebody to manage your money for you. If you have the capacity to choose who this is, it is called appointeeship. If you don't have the capacity to choose who this is, it is called deputyship.  This person could be:
  • your parent, carer or relative
  • a trusted friend
  • an independent financial advocate - such as DOSH
    or Money Carer Foundation
  • a solicitor

This will be decided by a court. Some people will charge you for this service.

All the decisions that this person makes will have to be in your best interest.

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.