Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice.

Support you can get at school, college or university

Support at school, college or university

Your school will have a special educational needs coordinator (SENCO) who can help you get the support you need. Your college or university should have a named person who makes sure anyone with SEND gets the help they need. 

The SENCO or named person will:

  • look at how you're getting on in the classroom
  • agree a support plan with you
  • make sure that you can still join in with the same activities that all other young people do
  • ask you and your family to tell them how you're getting on with learning

Find out more about a school SENCO.

If you need more support at school, college or university

If you need more support than your school, college or university can give you, you might need an education, health and care (EHC) plan.

An EHC plan is a document that explains what educational, health and social needs you have and the support that they must provide for you while you're at school, college or university. This helps your teachers to support you in your learning.

Your preparing for adulthood outcomes should be a key part of every review you have from year 9 onwards.

How to ask for a needs assessment for an EHC plan.

You already have an EHC plan

If you already have an EHC plan you should be discussing your plans for further or higher education during your regular reviews. These normally take place once a year and are sometimes called an annual review.

Find out about what should happen if you already have an EHC plan.

How to ask for a school or college when you have an EHC plan

You have the right to ask that a particular school or college is named in your EHC plan.

If you have your draft EHC plan you can use this letter template from the Independent Provider of Special Education Advice (IPSEA) to ask for a particular school.

When you get the draft EHC plan you have a right to ask for any of these types of school or college:

  • a maintained school; mainstream or special
  • an academy; mainstream or special
  • an institution in the further education sector
  • a non-maintained special school
  • an independent special school or college, section 41 school or college 

Find out more information on the IPSEA website about what happens when you ask for a particular school or college.

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.