Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice.

Working in childcare

We support:

  • registered early years and childcare providers and their staff
  • anyone setting up new childcare provision or registering as a childminder
  • people looking for a job in childcare

You already work in a childcare provision

Search Nexus for a range of information and training.


You're looking for a job in childcare or more information about career options

Search our Careers in Childcare website for jobs and guidance.


You want to find out about Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks

Everyone who works with children must have an enhanced DBS check. Employers and childminders are responsible for keeping these up to date.

Register as a childcare provider

Find information to help you register as a childcare provider, such as:

Register as a childminder

You need to register as a childminder if you want to provide childcare from your own home. This also applies if you work with up to 2 other people from a home that's not the home of the child or children. 

Our Early Years and Childcare Service can also give you support to help decide if childminding is right for you. This includes their becoming a childminder factsheet.

Register as a nanny

You don't have to register with Ofsted to be a nanny or home child carer, but parents may be able to get help paying for childcare if you do register.

Read Ofsted's quick guide to registering as a nanny

Find out more about registering as an early years childcare provider in this video from Ofsted:

Childcare Sufficiency Assessment

As a local authority, we have a duty to make sure there are enough childcare places in Dorset. 

Read our latest  Childcare Sufficiency Report to find out how we make sure the supply of childcare places matches the demand.

Read what we're doing as the result of feedback about our Childcare Sufficiency Assessment.

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.