The Specified Adult Childcare credits scheme is designed to protect the pensions of grandparents who retire early to help care for grandchildren so their parents can go back to work. 

How do Specified Adult Childcare credits work?

As a parent who gets Child Benefit for a child under 12, you automatically get NI credits towards your state pension. You no longer need the NI credits when you return to work. You can choose to transfer the credits to a grandparent or another relative who's caring for your child. 

Who can claim Specified Adult Childcare credits?

To claim Specified Adult Childcare credits you must be:

  • a grandparent or other family member caring for a child under 12
  • under state pension age
  • living in the UK

The parent or main carer of the child you're caring for must:

  • be entitled to Child Benefit
  • have a qualifying NI year
  • agree to your application

Find out more about eligibility and how to apply on GOV.UK.

Share this page