Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice

Personal assistants

Whether you pay for your own support or have a personal budget from the council, employing your own personal assistant can give you more choice and control over the service you receive.

A personal assistant (PA) can carry out a wide range of tasks to help you to stay independent. They offer flexible support based on your individual needs. Some of the things they can help you with include:

  • personal care
  • tasks at home
  • accessing community and social opportunities
  • developing independent living skills

You decide what you want your PA to do and when you want them to work.

You can pay for a PA from your own money or with your direct payment if you receive one from the council.

Being an employer

You may find it useful to speak to someone who is already employing a PA.

Skills for care has information and advice about employing your own PA including your responsibilities and legal obligations as an employer.

Finding a personal assistant

You can ask your social worker to make a referral to one of the agencies listed below on your behalf. If you pay for your own care and you would like help to employ a PA, you may contact these agencies directly.

Dorset Advocacy

Penderels Trust

PRO Disability (Poole Rights Organisation on Disability)

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.