We estimate that every week in the UK over a billion pounds of goods are weighed and measured at retail level alone.
We undertake a variety of weights and measures work, including:
- testing of petrol pumps, oil deliveries and shop scales
- advising traders on quantity control procedures in factories
- checking for misleading packaging sizes
- investigating complaints of short measure
- checking the weights of packaged goods
If you think you have received short measure, contact Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 03454 04 05 06.
Public weighbridge sites in Dorset
If you need to obtain the weight of a vehicle you will need to visit a public weighbridge. All public weighbridge operators hold a certificate of competence which is issued by the Trading Standards Service.
Please check up-to date opening times and charges with the operator before visiting.
|Nearest town||Details||Opening times||Price guide|
|Blandford Forum||B & W Feeds (Mobile) Ltd
Bussy Stooll Farm
Tel. 01258 830100
60T x 20Kg
|9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday||£10 including VAT per weighing|
|Blandford Forum||Deverel Farm
Milborne St. Andrew
Tel. 01258 837195
|7:30am to 6pm||£5 single
£7 for two including VAT
|Bridport||J.C. Phillips & Son
162 South Street
Tel. 01308 422179
20T X 10Kg 20’ x 8’ plate
|8am to 5:30pm, Monday to Friday
8am to 1pm on Saturday
|£6.10 including VAT
£8.63 including VAT
8am to 1pm and 2pm to 5pm, Monday to Friday
8am to 12 noon on Saturday
Ferndown Industrial Estate
Tel. 01202 875612
50T x 20Kg
6:30am to 4:15pm, Monday to Friday
6:30am to 10:45am on Saturday
|£5 including VAT|
Rose JH & Sons
7:30am to 5:30pm, Monday to Friday
8am to 12 noon on Saturday
|£6 including VAT|
Sims Bird Recycling Ltd
7:30am to 1pm and 1:30pm to 4:30pm, Monday to Friday
7:30am to 11am on Saturday
|£10 including VAT|
Coppid Farming Enterprise
7:30am to 4:30pm, Monday to Thursday
(weekends and out of hours by appointment. Please ring 01258 840206)
Verification, calibration and hire service
Most weighing and measuring equipment used by businesses must by law be approved before use. We offer this service to local businesses. If you would like an item of equipment verified contact us on our business advice line.
Calibration and hire service
We can help businesses improve the quality of their own products or services by providing them with a traceable calibration service for weights and measures.
Our calibration service can provide:
- calibration of weights from 1mg to 20kg
- calibration of measures of length
- calibration of volume measures
- certificate of accuracy for weighing machines
- a calibration certificate which is traceable to national standards
- a 10 working day calibration turnaround time
- calibration history i.e. 'before and after' results if requested
- a choice of service levels to match your requirements
Our hire service can provide 1 tonne of calibrated 20kg weights, traceable to national standards.
We are not a UKAS accredited laboratory. If you would like further information please view the UKAS website.