Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice.

Scrap metal and motor salvage licence

You will need a licence if you want to run a business that buys or sells scrap metal or are a motor salvage operator.

The legislation concerning Scrap Metal Dealers and Motor Salvage Operators is the Scrap Metals Dealers Act 2013.

There are 2 different types of scrap metal licence and all licences are valid for 3 years:

Site licence

If you have a site or premises where metal is stored you will need to apply for a site licence, which allows the licence holder to carry on business at any site in the council's area.

Collector's licence

If you do not store scrap metal and work as a mobile (door-to-door) collector, you will need to apply for a collector's licence.


The application fees for a 3 year licence are:

  • collector licence - £550
  • site licence - £700
  • changing a licence - £75
  • replacement licence - £35

Before you start

You should read the collector's licence statutory requirements and the site licence statutory requirements before you apply.

You must provide the following documents with your application:

  • environment agency permits and/or waste carrier licence
  • basic criminal records disclosure certificate - all applicants will require one of these. The certificate must be dated within three months of submitting your application and is available from Disclosure Scotland
  • photographic ID - all applicants must present either a valid photocard driving licence or passport in person
  • evidence of Home address - this can be a utility bill, council tax demand/statement, bank or credit card statement
  • evidence of bank details - confirming details supplied in the application e.g. bank statement

Licensed dealers

View a list of licensed scrap metal businesses for:

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.