Scrap metal and motor salvage licence
You will need a licence if you want to run a business that buys or sells scrap metal or are a motor salvage operator.
The legislation concerning Scrap Metal Dealers and Motor Salvage Operators is the Scrap Metals Dealers Act 2013.
There are 2 different types of scrap metal licence and all licences are valid for 3 years:
If you have a site or premises where metal is stored you will need to apply for a site licence, which allows the licence holder to carry on business at any site in the council's area.
If you do not store scrap metal and work as a mobile (door-to-door) collector, you will need to apply for a collector's licence.
The application fees for a 3 year licence are:
- collector licence - £550
- site licence - £700
- changing a licence - £75
- replacement licence - £35
Before you start
You should read the collector's licence statutory requirements and the site licence statutory requirements before you apply.
You must provide the following documents with your application:
- environment agency permits and/or waste carrier licence
- basic criminal records disclosure certificate - all applicants will require one of these. The certificate must be dated within three months of submitting your application and is available from Disclosure Scotland
- photographic ID - all applicants must present either a valid photocard driving licence or passport in person
- evidence of Home address - this can be a utility bill, council tax demand/statement, bank or credit card statement
- evidence of bank details - confirming details supplied in the application e.g. bank statement
View a list of licensed scrap metal businesses for: