Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice.

Hypnotism authorisation

Under the Hypnotism Act 1952 if you wish to show, demonstrate or perform a hypnotism act in public, you must have authorisation. 

There are certain conditions attached to the authorisation.

How to apply

You should apply in writing to the relevant licensing department at least 28 days before the performance. There is no fee to apply for authorisation.

Applications must include:

  • the applicants full name (and stage name) address and telephone number

  • the address where the show, performance, or demonstration is to take place

  • the date and times of the performance

  • a public liability insurance certificate

  • details of the 3 previous performance

  • details of any previous convictions under the Hypnotism Act 1952

  • details of any previous hypnotism consent being refused by a local authority

You can also apply online for consent in West Dorset.

Information for first time applicants in the North Dorset area

First time applications may be put before a Licensing and Orders Committee that meets every 6 weeks. Your application needs to be with the council at least 10 working days before the meeting. Granted authorisations or decisions to refuse authorisation will be sent out within 7 days of the committee meeting. 

Tacit consent will apply if your application was received at least 10 working days before the date of a Licensing and Orders Committee meeting and you have not heard from the authority within 7 days of the meeting. This means that you will be able to act as though you had received an authorisation.

Information for applicants in the West Dorset and Weymouth and Portland area

Read the hypnotism guidance for more information on hypnotism performances in the West Dorset and Weymouth and Portland area.

Tacit consent may apply. Please contact us if you have not heard from them following the consultation period.

Contact us


Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.