Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice.

Environmental permits

Certain industrial processes and activities which have the potential to cause pollution are required to have an Environmental permit to operate.

The Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2010 ("the EP Regulations") were made under the Pollution Prevention and Control Act 1999 and prescribe those processes and activities which require a permit.

These processes are split into three categories: Part A(1), Part A(2) and Part B.

Find out if you need a permit

Schedule 1 Part 2 of the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2010identifies those processes that require a permit and also into which category [Part A(1), A(2) or B] the process falls. Permits covering Part A(1) and Part A(2) sites will consider issues such as: emissions to air, land, water and energy and water usage. Part B permits only consider emissions to air.

Who issues the permit

For Part A(1) processes the Environment Agencyissues the permit.

For Part A(2) and Part B processes your local council issues the permit. The Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) has produced a series of process and sector guidance notes that explain all the potential releases from specific industrial processes and the best available techniques for preventing or reducing the impact of emissions. The notes also suggest conditions to be included within permits.

How much a permit costs

The Government sets these fees and charges: Environmental Permit Fees Part a2 Environmental Permit Charges & Fees Part b If you have queries about a specific activity, fee or charge, please contact:

There is an application fee and an annual subsistence fee which vary depending on the category of process for which the permit is being applied for [Part A(1) A(2) or B] and to a risk rating applied during inspections of the process.

Find out if tacit consent applies

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact them, contact details are below.

What happens if your application is refused

If your application for an environmental permit is refused, you may appeal to the appropriate authority. In England the appropriate authority is the Secretary of State. Appeals must be lodged no later than six months from the date of the decision.

Public Registers

Public participation and consultations

The public are invited to comment on current applications for all permits (Part A2 and Part B) and draft determinations for Part A2 Permits only. 

Comments on applications/determinations must be made to the council within 20 days of notification being placed on the website.

Pending applications

The company known as Innova AGS Limited, Fifth Floor , 16 Northumberland Road, London, WC 2N 5AP has applied to Dorset Council for an environmental permit to operate a small waste incineration plant at Old Rogers Concrete Site, Hines Pit, Binnegar Lane, Binnegar, Wareham, Dorset, BH20 6AE.

You can view the application or if you require further information or the application in an accessible format please email:

Any written comments on the application should be made to Environmental Protection, Dorset Council, South Walks House, South Walks Road, Dorchester, Dorset, DT1 1UZ or by email to by 18 February 2021.

Any written comments will be available for viewing on this page unless they include a statement requesting that this is not done. If there is such a request the register itself will just include a note that representations have been made which are not on the register because of such a request.

Contact us

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.