Certain industrial processes and activities which have the potential to cause pollution are required to have an Environmental permit to operate.

The Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2010 ("the EP Regulations") were made under the Pollution Prevention and Control Act 1999 and prescribe those processes and activities which require a permit.

These processes are split into three categories: Part A(1), Part A(2) and Part B.

Find out if you need a permit

Schedule 1 Part 2 of the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2010 identifies those processes that require a permit and also into which category [Part A(1), A(2) or B] the process falls. Permits covering Part A(1) and Part A(2) sites will consider issues such as: emissions to air, land, water and energy and water usage. Part B permits only consider emissions to air.

Who issues the permit

For Part A(1) processes the Environment Agency issues the permit.

For Part A(2) and Part B processes your local council issues the permit. The Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) has produced a series of process and sector guidance notes that explain all the potential releases from specific industrial processes and the best available techniques for preventing or reducing the impact of emissions. The notes also suggest conditions to be included within permits.

How much a permit costs

The Government sets these fees and charges: Environmental Permit Fees Part a2 Environmental Permit Charges & Fees Part b If you have queries about a specific activity, fee or charge, please contact: envhealthteamb@dorsetcouncil.gov.uk

There is an application fee and an annual subsistence fee which vary depending on the category of process for which the permit is being applied for [Part A(1) A(2) or B] and to a risk rating applied during inspections of the process.

Find out if tacit consent applies

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact them, contact details are below.

What happens if your application is refused

If your application for an environmental permit is refused, you may appeal to the appropriate authority. In England the appropriate authority is the Secretary of State. Appeals must be lodged no later than six months from the date of the decision.

Public Registers

Public participation and consultations

The public are invited to comment on current applications for all permits (Part A2 and Part B) and draft determinations for Part A2 Permits only. 

Comments on applications/determinations must be made to the council within 20 days of notification being placed on the website.

Pending applications

Application for a Part B Permit from Magnox, Winfrith Site, Gatemore Road, Winfrith Newburgh, DT2 8WG for new installation of a Grout & Concrete Plant has been accepted as duly made and the local authority must now take steps it considers appropriate to inform public consultees of the application within 30 working days of it having been duly made, and where and when it can be inspected free of charge. This must include an invitation to make representations on the application, specifying the deadline for comments and where to send them.


The application and supporting documents can be viewed upon request by contacting Environmental Health and the application may be commented on until 13 June 2021. Any written or email comments on the application should be submitted to the Environmental Protection Team.


Share this page