Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice.

Busking licence

When you need a licence

Busking is not usually considered a licensable activity under the Licensing Act 2003 but you may need a temporary event notice if you are holding an event where buskers are the main attraction.

If you want to sell any goods, such as CDs and merchandise, you will need a street trading licence.

You don't need a licence for unamplified live music between the hours of 8am and 11pm.

Getting permission from the landowner

You must get permission from the landowner to busk. This could be:

  • the highways authority (to busk on public highway)
  • the town council
  • a private landowner 

 What you need to consider

Busking is not illegal but you should ensure you are:

  • not making too much noise

  • not blocking public highways (footpaths, pavements, open pedestrian areas)

  • not displaying notices asking for payment

  • not using threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or written material

Children under 14 aren’t allowed to busk.

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.