Twynham Primary School
Providing a new primary school as part of Dorset's Basic Need Programme.
The project and background
In order to meet the rising demand for primary school places, as part of Dorset's Basic Need Programme, further capacity is required in Christchurch. In the first year of occupancy on its permanent site the primary school will accommodate 150 pupils (reception, year 1, year 2, year 3 and year 4).
The single storey building will provide:
- 14 Classrooms
- large Hall
- learning resources area
- 'studio' and practical areas
- appropriate ancillary and administrative accommodation
Work started in the spring of 2017 and completed in the spring of 2018.
View the latest construction image and time-lapse video provided by Morgan Sindall.
The site is located to the eastern edge of Christchurch, between a residential area to the west and a water treatment works to the east and south. The entrance to the site is via Marsh Lane. The building will be located to the eastern side of the site.
The building is steel-framed and single storey with pitched roofs. Accommodation is laid out either side of a top-lit and naturally ventilated central corridor. Building materials include red brick walls for the main building, blue engineering bricks for the hall and matt flat standing seam aluminium roof.
Although the project will not be subject to a full BREEAM (Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Method) assessment, a desktop study will be undertaken in order to ensure the design meets the criteria required to achieve a BREEAM "very good" rating.
External works and landscape
Landscape and external work at the new Christchurch Primary School will include:
- the retention of important trees and vegetation
- the provision of hard games court and play areas, positioned on the lowest area of the site. The playing fields will be positioned to the south of the school building. Ball stop fencing will be used where appropriate.
- an area for conservation; the paddock at the northern end of the site will remain undeveloped at this stage.
Pedestrian and vehicular access to the school will be from Marsh Lane at the northern end of the site between the paddock and the school building. A car park and turning area will be provided. The access drive and parking area will be softened with planting and grass areas. The school site will be fully secured with fencing and gates which will be selected to have the least possible visual impact.
The design team and main constructor
The project at Christchurch Primary School is being procured and project managed by Dorset Property. The design team and main constructor are as follows: -
- Client: The Asset Management Group for Cabinet, represented by the Director for Children's Services
- Project manager: Dorset Property
- Architect: Dorset Property
- Cost consultant: Dorset Property
- Mechanical engineer: Dorset Property
- Electrical engineer: Dorset Property
- Landscape architect: Dorset Property
- Structural engineer: Dorset Property
- CDM 'principal designer': Dorset Property
- Clerk of works: Dorset Property
- Main constructor: Morgan Sindall
- Drainage Engineer: WSP Parsons Brinckerhoff
- Fire Safety: WSP Parsons Brinckerhoff
- Acoustic design: Mach Acoustics