Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice

Licensing a venue for marriages and civil partnerships

Before you apply

You should read the guidance notes and fire safety advice before submitting an application.​ We recommend that you contact us to arrange a visit to your premises before you submit an application.

Apply for a licence

Download the Approved Premises Licence application form.

Licence costs

The licence will be valid for a minimum of 3 years. You can apply to renew your licence if it expires in less than a year.

Licence costs
Type of licence1 April 20191 April 20201 April 2021
Licence application £1076 £1100 £1125
Renewal of licence £1076 £1100 £1125
Review of decision (the fee will be refunded if the original decision is not upheld) £539  £551 £563

Public Notices for current licence applications

Dorset Council, which is responsible for the registration of births, deaths, civil marriages and civil partnerships in the council area, wishes to give notice that the following have applied for a venue to be approved under Section 26 (1)(b) of the Marriage Act 1949, as amended and under Section 6 (3A)(a) of the Civil Partnership Act 2004 as amended) as a venue for the solemnisation of civil marriages and civil partnerships.

Swanage Town Hall, High Street, Swanage, BH19 2NZ Kirsty Riglar   11th August 2020 
 Sherborne Town Council, The Manor House, Newlands, Sherborne, DT9 3JL  Kirsty Riglar  11th August 2020
 Shell Bay Restaurant and Bistro, Ferry Road, Studland, BH19 3BA  Cass Chapman  11th August 2020

The application, together with a copy of the plan of the premises, is being held by the Proper Officer for Registration and may be viewed at the Dorset History Centre, Bridport Road, Dorchester, DT1 1RP, during normal office hours. View directions and opening times for the Dorset History Centre.

Any objection concerning the proposed grant of approval for the premises below should be sent in writing to Karyn Punchard, Proper Officer for Registration at County Hall, Colliton Park, Dorchester, Dorset DT1 1XJ by the closing date shown.

Register a building for religious worship and marriage

Contact us for information about how to register a building for religious worship and religious marriage, or if you wish to apply to register a religious building for the solemnization of marriages.

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.