Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice.

Correct a birth certificate or re-register a birth

Correcting a birth certificate

If a mistake was made at the time of registering the birth, it may be possible to correct the record.

Corrections cost either £75 or £90, depending on the type of correction.

You'll be asked to provide evidence of the change you want to make and you will normally need to go to the register office to witness the correction.

Re-registering a birth

There a two circumstances where a birth can be re-registered:

Adding a father's details if they weren't recorded at the registration

If the parents are unmarried and would like the natural father's details added to the birth record, they need to re-register the birth so that a new birth record can be created to replace the original one.

If the child's parents have married since the child was born

If the natural parents have married each other since the birth, they need to re-register the birth so that a new birth record can be created showing the child as a child of the parents' marriage.

Book an appointment

Contact us to book an appointment to correct a birth certificate or re-register a birth.

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.