Disruption to waste services
Due to coronavirus (COVID-19), we are experiencing disruption to some waste services. Please use the following advice and information to help us at this difficult time. We thank you for your co-operation and support.
Household recycling centres
Household recycling centres (HRCs, or 'the tip') are open for waste that cannot be collected at the kerbside. We encourage residents to continue to store waste at home, where possible, to reduce pressures on these services.
Visitors to all HRCs are asked to note the following:-
- journeys to an HRC should only be made for waste that cannot be collected at the kerbside
- do not assume that any HRC is open before setting off. Please check the appropriate pages on the Dorset Council website (NOT Google)
- queues and waiting times to access each site will be much longer than usual, so expect significant delays. This is because there will be limits on the numbers of people that can be on site at any one time to maintain social distancing
- if sites becomes overwhelmed with traffic and queues cause local traffic disruption, they will close for a period of time for queues to clear
- do not arrive at the site early - This could stop staff getting to the HRC, hampering the removal of waste and delaying the opening of the site. It may also prevent local residents from getting to work
- you should not visit the HRC if you are unwell, as you should be following the 7-day self-isolation guidance, or if a member of your household is unwell and you should be following the 14 day stay at home guidance
- visitors to HRCs must always observe social distancing. If you do not comply with social distancing guidance, you will be asked to leave the HRC and the site may have to close temporarily
- HRC staff will not be able to assist with carrying items. Do not take any items to the HRC that you can’t lift yourself, or with the aid of one other passenger from your vehicle
- if you do travel to an HRC, please remember to stay in your vehicle while queuing to aid with social distancing. Please do not leave your vehicle until it is necessary to get out
- only one person should leave the vehicle to unload waste – a maximum of two if unloading heavy items
- household waste should be double-bagged and left for 72 hours before being taken to an HRC, and only if it cannot be collected at the kerbside
- although all usual waste and material types can be dropped off, please bring a maximum of two waste types per visit (e.g. garden waste and black bag waste)
- reuse areas will remain closed in order to reduce item handling and ensure visitors spend no more time on site than is necessary
- charges still apply for some waste types, but contactless payments only – no cash
- on your return from the HRC please remember not to touch your face and to wash your hands for 20 seconds on arrival at your destination.