Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice.

Holiday lets and self-catering accommodation

Holiday lets and self-catering accommodation - what the law says

Definition of waste from holiday lets and self-catering accommodation

By law, holiday lets and self-catering accommodation are not permitted to use the Dorset Council's household bin collection service (the Recycle for Dorset scheme, previously operated by the Dorset Waste Partnership).

The Controlled Wasteset out how councils must deal with waste from holiday lets and self-catering accommodation.

The legislation says that these premises are businesses and should pay for a commercial waste service, including collection and disposal charges.

This definition applies regardless of whether the premises are liable for business rates or council tax. 

If you are unsure of your legal obligations, please contact us to ensure you have the appropriate arrangements in place.

Should I be paying business rates?

Legislation covering business rates for self-catering and holiday let accommodation in Englandsays that if a property is available to let for 140 days or more a year, it should be rated as a self-catering property and valued for business rates.

Please contact us about the type of rates you should be paying.

Waste services from Dorset Council

We already have many contracts for holiday lets and self-catering accommodation across Dorset.

We also work with agencies to make sure their members are aware of the legislation and are making appropriate choices about their waste.

If your premises are available as a holiday let or self-catering holiday accommodation throughout the year, you can pay for any of our Dorset commercial waste collection services.

Full collection and disposal charges will apply unless your business received free waste disposal and also small business rate relief prior to 6 April 2012 when the current legislation came into force. Businesses that meet this criteria are eligible to a collection only rate. Proof of small business rate relief will need to be provided.

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.