Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice, including help if you are struggling financially

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a new benefit, whatever your employment status, and should make changes into and out of work easier as people won’t need to move to a different benefit. For example whilst claiming it will be easier to:

  • take temporary or part-time work
  • increase your hours
  • work overtime

If you are making a new claim for any of these benefits, you will now need to claim Universal Credit instead:

  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit

The Department of Work & Pensions has provided up to date information on 'Understanding Universal Credit'.

Money Advice

You can get help and advice from:

Housing Benefit and paying your rent

Universal Credit may include money towards your housing costs. You’ll have to arrange with your landlord to start paying your own rent, if you don’t do this already.

Find out details of your rent from your landlord, for example:

  • how much the rent is and how you need to pay it
  • if you need to pay any service charges or bills, for example, gas and electricity

If you think you’ll have problems managing your rent, talk to your landlord or Universal Credit work coach if you want to find out more about how payments can be made directly to your landlord.

Help with Council Tax

Help with Council Tax is not included in your Universal Credit payment. You need to make your Council Tax Support claim to us when you apply for Universal Credit. If you don't, you may miss out.

Find out about Council Tax Support

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.