We compare your finances (income and capital) to how much the government says that you and your family need to live on (this is called the applicable amount) each week.

To decide how much Council Tax Support you are entitled to we will use the following information:

  • the money you and your partner have coming in including:
    • earnings
    • some benefits
    • Universal Credit award
    • tax credits
    • pensions
  • your savings (and your partner's savings) this includes:
    • money you have in your bank accounts or Building Society accounts
    • assets (such as property or land)
    • stocks, shares and premium bonds
  • your circumstances such as:
    • your age
    • the number of people in your household and their ages
    • if you or any of your family are disabled

Non Dependants

A Non Dependant is someone aged 18 or over who lives with you but is not a tenant or a lodger. For example, a grown up son or daughter who lives at home.

In most cases we will make a deduction from your Council Tax Support because we expect that your Non Dependant will help towards housing costs, whether they do or not. The amount we take will be decided based on their gross income. 

How much will I get?

You may get help with all or part of your Council Tax. There’s no set amount of Council Tax Support and what you get will depend on your age and circumstances.

How much you get depends on:

  • your age
  • your ‘eligible’ weekly council tax
  • the people in your household and their ages
  • your household income - including benefits, pensions and savings (over £6,000)
  • your circumstances, for example the age of people in the house or if someone has a disability

Weekly eligible Council Tax

Council Tax is a daily charge, the eligible Council Tax charge we use to calculate your Council Tax Support is:

the annual Council Tax charge (after any discounts or exemptions)
divided by 365 days (366 in a leap year) and
multiplied by 7

Most people who are working age that make a claim for Council Tax Support will have to pay a minimum contribution towards their Council Tax, this amount will depend on the area you live. You can find out more detailed information from the Council Tax Support policy for your area.

The full council tax charge (100%) will be used to calculate Council Tax Support where the claimant or partner:

  • is Pension Age
  • receives Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment
  • receives War Disablement Pension, War Widows Pension or War Widows Disablement Pension
  • receives a  Disability Premium, Enhanced Disability Premium, Severe Disability Premium, Disabled Child Premium, Carer Premium, or Support Component within their Employment and Support Allowance
  • is a Universal Credit recipient, are not a pensioner, but the applicant or their partner is in receipt of an income or premium listed above

Share this page