Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice.

Council Tax Support

Council Tax Support is to help people on low incomes pay their Council Tax. It is means tested so your income and savings have to be below a certain level to get help.

From April 2013 Council Tax Support replaced the Council Tax Benefit Scheme. The Government instructed that, for working age people, councils can decide their own scheme. This means the Council Tax Support scheme could be different depending where you live. Council Tax support policy for your council is available. For pension age people and certain vulnerable people, your local council must apply the same rules that were in place for Council Tax Benefit.

Alternatively you can claim Second Adult Rebate.

You cannot get both Council Tax Support and Second Adult Rebate at the same time. If you qualify for both, you will receive the one that pays the most.

Your Council Tax bill could be reduced in other ways

As well as Council Tax Support and Second Adult Rebate, we can reduce your Council Tax with:



Reductions for people with disabilities

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.