Benefits fraud includes:
- making false statements or providing false documents
- providing inaccurate, misleading or incomplete information
- failing to report a change in circumstances that might affect benefit entitlement
- allowing or causing any of the above to happen, in order that benefit is paid to any person, including landlords
If you are suspected of benefit fraud
Read more about what is likely to happen if you are suspected of benefit fraud.
Report someone else of benefit fraud
If you think someone is claiming benefits to which they are not entitled you can:
- report benefit fraud on the Gov.uk website
- call the National Fraud Hotline free on 0800 854 440
- text phone users can call 0800 328 0512
- contact your local council
Please provide as much information as you can about the person and why you think they are committing benefit fraud. The law says that we must have good reason to investigate a person.