Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice, including help if you are struggling financially

Minutes of the Dorset Community Safety Partnership – 19 December 2019

Attendance 

Core membership

Core membership attendance
NameAgency
Cllr Andrew Kerby Dorset Council
Cllr Gill Taylor Dorset Council
Cllr David Gray Dorset Council
Cllr Kevin Clayton Dorset Council
A/Supt Richard Bell Dorset Police
Julie Deller Community Rehabilitation Company
Tina Ridge

National Probation Service

Attendees

Attendance list
NameAgency
Cllr K D Johnson DAPTC
Cllr Molly Rennie Dorset Domestic Abuse Forum
Becks Kirk  Dorset Council 
David Webb Youth Offending Team
Melissa Johnson Dorset Council
Andrea Breen  Dorset Council
Andy Frost Dorset Council
James Plumley DWFRS
Gaynor Mant  DWFRS
Harriet Hallett Dorset Council
Ian Grant Dorset Council
Kay Wilson-White Dorset Council
Jenni Boddy Dorset Council
Mary Taylor Dorset Council

Apologies

  • Cllr Graham Carr-Jones (Dorset Council)
  • Cllr Bill Pipe (Dorset Council)
  • Cllr Byron Quayle (Fire Authority)
  • Jason Mumford (OPCC)
  • Paula Higgins (National Probation Service)
  • Graham Duggan (Dorset Council)

Cllr Daryl Turner observed the meeting.

No 1

Item - Minutes of Meeting Held on 10 October and Matters Arising 

Melcombe Regis Board

1.1 Members of the group discussed progress of the Melcombe Regis Board as there were concerns it had not met for some time

1.2 Cllr Gill Taylor recognised the good work of the Board but felt it required a budget, a higher profile within the new Dorset Council and to be more engaged with the local community

1.3 Rebecca Kirk agreed to speak with John Sellgren (Corporate Director for Place, Dorset Council) who was leading work on the Board

  • Action Rebecca Kirk

1.4 Cllr Andrew Kerby would also write to Matt Prosser (Chief Executive, Dorset Council) to ask about the future of the Board

  • Action Cllr Kerby

Review of ASB Policies and the Community Trigger

1.5 It was noted there had been no contact from colleagues in Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole regarding the work to review ASB policies and Community Trigger

  • Action Karen Graham/Melissa Johnson

Testing the Modern Slavery Protocol

1.6 It was noted that work would be undertaken to test the effectiveness of the Modern Slavery protocol and referral pathway

  • Action Kay Wilson-White

No 2

Item - Performance and Delivery Report Update – Q2 2019/20

2.1 Ian Grant presented the quarterly performance and delivery update, covering the priorities and work plans the CSP has in place this year. The update included performance and work plan highlights along with an update on partners’ work to address domestic abuse

2.2 Over the past six months there had been a noticeable increase in reported domestic abuse crimes and incidents. A/Supt Richard Bell explained that Dorset Police’s recent work to improve recording was the cause of the increases

2.3 Members of the group discussed whether there needed to be a greater focus on early help and prevention to stop people experiencing domestic abuse in the first place

2.4 Cllr Rennie supported the idea, particularly in relation to children growing up in households where they witnessed domestic abuse. She also felt partners needed to have a greater focus on the perpetrators of domestic abuse

2.5 The group agreed to ensure prevention and early help formed a key part of next year’s delivery planning. This would include a mission statement and exploring opportunities to deliver through upcoming legislation

  • Action Ian Grant/Andy Frost

2.6 It was noted that early prevention was also a priority for the Dorset Safeguarding Adult’s Board who also had an interest in tackling domestic abuse. All agreed it was important to work closely with the Board on shared areas of work and approaches

2.7 Members of the group discussed progress with embedding a whole family approach to domestic abuse. It was agreed to pick this up via the Council’s Crime & Disorder Committee (Place Scrutiny)

  • Action Cllr Kerby

2.8 Performance highlights included decreases in Anti-Social Behaviour, Acquisitive Crime, Non-Domestic Violence Against the Person and Total Crime

2.9 Jenni Boddy gave the group a progress update on the performance dashboard following the training session given to members of the CSP in November. It was noted that the dashboard would provide CSP members with more up to date information on crime trends and data than is currently available in quarterly reports

2.10 The group discussed the use of the dashboard including access permissions. It was agreed the dashboard was to be used exclusively for work relating to the CSP by members of the group. A non-disclosure agreement would be developed to confirm this

No 3

Item - Partnership Coordinating Groups (PCGs) Update

3.1 Melissa Johnson presented an update on the range of issues currently being dealt with by the local Partnership Coordinating Groups (PCGs)

East Dorset

3.2 Low level ASB, criminal damage, public place violence and noise related problems were all issues facing the area (particularly those involving drugs/alcohol and mental health), however, Melissa noted that multi-agency arrangements are being used to tackle them. Under reporting was a common theme across East Dorset and people were being encouraged to report problems using the 101 telephone number

Purbeck

3.3 There had been good progress in resolving ASB issues. Low level ASB was being closely monitored. Engagement had taken place with the DAPTC and with the community through a range of events. Those cases that were difficult to resolve remain open to multi-agency arrangements

North Dorset

3.4 The profile of issues has remained consistent with previous months, focusing around neighbourhood disputes, youth ASB and those cases involving mental health

3.5 The ongoing ASB issues surrounding Dorchester Library continue to be the biggest issue for the area, however, Melissa highlighted the work happening to resolve them, including making use of partnership arrangements

Weymouth and Portland

3.6 There was ongoing work around county lines and good engagement from agencies such as the Community Mental Health Team (CMHT) and Housing. Melissa referenced the good multi-agency work taking place to resolve long-term Youth ASB, including joint work with the FPZs (Family Partnership Zones) in arranging outreach events. David Webb highlighted the need to ensure that those young people identified as being at risk of exploitation are linked into the Carole Model. David agreed to liaise with Penny James to make sure this was happening

  • Action David Webb

3.7 Melissa described the work of the Community Safety Accreditation Scheme (CSAS) but noted that funding was not secured for beyond March 2020

3.8 Members of the group discussed the difficulty in resolving the issue of entrenched rough sleepers in the area. Partners had spent a lot of time and effort trying to support this small entrenched group, but some would not engage

3.9 Cllr Gray voiced his concern that this was a long-standing issue with a small number of people causing a disproportionate amount of disruption. He was keen to explore what else could be done to resolve the problem, including learning from other parts of the country such as Bath, and felt partners needed to consider taking a different approach including reviewing their current interpretations of relevant laws

3.10 Partners felt it was important to problem solve the issue and make sure relevant agencies were fully engaged in finding a solution. It was agreed that the PCG would take the lead with any issues regarding engagement from agencies being reported to the CSP

  • Action Melissa Johnson

3.11 Work would also be undertaken to explore the approaches taken by other areas to tackle similar issues for consideration by the PCG

  • Action Melissa Johnson

3.12 Cllr Andrew Kerby voiced his concerns about youth ASB and explained he intended to write to the Council’s Portfolio Holder for Children’s Services to find out what was being done to help address the issue including outreach provision

  • Action Cllr Andrew Kerby

No 4

Item - Future Pan-Dorset Working Arrangements

4.1 Members of the group considered a paper on future pan-Dorset working arrangements

4.2 Although CSPs are the statutory bodies for partnership work, in 2016, partners across Dorset created the pan-Dorset Community Safety & Criminal Justice Board (CSCJB) to coordinate community safety and criminal justice partnership work at the strategic level. The Dorset CSP delegated a number of statutory functions to the CSCJB to deliver on its behalf whilst retaining overall accountability

4.3 It had been nearly four years since partners reviewed their pan-Dorset working arrangements. During this period there had been significant change across individual organisations and the partnership landscape

4.4 The CSCJB had not met since February 2019 and following a decision by the BCP CSP, a task and finish group was set up to review arrangements and put forward recommendations to the two CSPs. The task and finish group was chaired by the Dorset and BCP CSP Chars and representatives of the responsible authorities were invited to attend the meeting

4.5 Although there were opportunities for shared work, members of the task and finish group recognised there were significant differences between the Dorset and BCP areas and that it was necessary for each CSP to be agile and able to respond to their issues in the way they felt most appropriate with the resources available to them

4.6 Given that, the task and finish group felt it wasn’t necessary to continue with the CSCJB and that the Board should be disbanded. Instead the CSPs could hold an annual event to consider common areas of work and how they might work jointly on these

4.7 The task and finish group felt that in the interim, current pan-Dorset theme groups that used to report to the CSCJB could continue to meet except for the Domestic Abuse & Sexual Violence Strategic Group with arrangements for domestic abuse being organised at the individual CSP level. This would ensure closer alignment to each CSPs’ work on Domestic Homicide Reviews (DHRs) and allow partners to develop their response to new duties that will come from the Domestic Abuse Bill

4.8 Members of the task and finish group felt it was helpful to have shared, high level strategic intentions across both CSPs where appropriate but understood delivery would vary in each CSP area according to local circumstances

4.9 Tina Ridge stressed the need to be mindful of agencies’ capacity to service the new arrangements and highlighted the importance of ensuring effective communication between the two areas

4.10 Rebecca Kirk pointed out the need to be mindful of the work taking place with the Safeguarding Adults Board (SAB) in terms of their working arrangements

Resolved

  • the proposal to disband the pan-Dorset CSCJB was supported
  • the proposal to disband the CSCJB is recommended to Dorset Council for approval.
  • the two CSPs hold an annual event based on the findings of their most recent Partnership Strategic Assessments to determine areas for joint working over the year and;
  • that until the first annual event, pan-Dorset Theme Groups continue, with the exception of the Domestic Abuse & Sexual Violence Strategic Group with arrangements for domestic abuse being organised at the individual CSP level

No 5

Item - Partnership Strategic Assessment (PSA)

5. 1 Jenni Boddy gave a presentation on the PSA which complimented the report sent out with the agenda for the meeting. The presentation included an overview of the process (MoRILE) for identifying priorities, initial suggestions for priorities for the forthcoming year and next steps

5. 2 It was noted that this years PSA would not be a pan-Dorset assessment but Dorset specific

5. 3 It was proposed that priorities were organised by those requiring strategic overview and those which can be met locally, through PCGs. There were also priorities that could be better served by other partnership boards

5. 4 The emerging priorities based on the MoRILE assessment were:

Strategic Priorities:

  • modern Slavery and Human Trafficking
  • county Lines
  • sexual Violence
  • child (sexual) exploitation
  • domestic Abuse Violent Crime
  • rural Crime

Issues to be picked up at a Partnership Co-ordinating Group PCG level:

  • Public place violence (robbery / non-domestic violence against the person / assault with injury)
  • Anti-social Behaviour

Already covered by other partnerships:

  • KSI – Dorset Road Safety Partnership
  • Drug Related Deaths – substance misuse partnership groups led by Public Health Dorset

5.5 It was recommended that partners should also monitor hate crime including in the context of wider community cohesion

5.6 The group discussed the initial priorities and agreed that ‘violent crime’ should be dropped from the domestic abuse priority. There was a discussion amongst the group about how to describe priorities and how they could be managed, particularly those with cross cutting themes to other partnership boards

5.7 It was noted that further work would be undertaken to complete the PSA and develop priorities. This would include public consultation and taking information from local and national research findings about crime and community safety

5.8 The final PSA would be brought to the next meeting for sign off along with the new community safety plan

Resolved

  • the approach to completing a Dorset PSA for 2019 was supported
  • members of the CSP considered and made comments on the draft priorities based on the work undertaken so far
  • members of the CSP considered and made comments on the proposals for completing the PSA

No 6

Item - Developing the 2020-2023 Community Safety Plan

6.1 Andy Frost introduced a report on developing the 2020-2023 Community Safety Plan. Andy informed members of the group that it’s a statutory requirement for CSPs to produce a three year Community Safety Plan (revised annually), based on the findings from the PSA and broadly setting out how partners intend to meet their priorities

6.2 The CSP’s current Community Safety Plan ends in March 2020 so a new plan must be developed for 2020-2023

6.3 Andy explained that Community Safety Plans should seek the views of members of the public and suggested the CSP could do this using the Council’s Residents Survey, Peoples’ Panel, a public meeting in February and by utilising partners existing consultation mechanisms

6.4 It was a legal requirement for Community Safety Plans to be formally adopted by the Council. Andy suggested that to ensure ownership and engagement an update on the development of the new plan is taken to the Council’s Crime & Disorder Committee in January to seek their views

6.5 The final plan would be brought to the CSP for agreement in March then taken through the process for getting formal adoption by the Council

6.6 Members of the group felt the plan should include something on early intervention and prevention in relation to domestic abuse as per the earlier discussion

Resolved

  • the approach to developing the Community Safety Plan 2020 - 2023 was agreed

No 7

Item - Domestic Homicide Review (DHR) Update

7.1 Members of the group received an update on progress with DHRs. The update provided an overview of specific reviews and an update on funding for reviews

7.2 It was noted that the agreed funding model would need to be implemented to cover the costs of any reviews beyond DHR 8

7.3 It was suggested that partners make an approach to central government for funding for DHRs. It would also be important to make use of any funding opportunities associated with the new Domestic Abuse Bill

7.4 CSPs were now required to undertake DHRs on suicides as well as homicides. This had resulted in an increase in the number of reviews needing to be completed

7.5 Cllr Kerby agreed to write to the Home Office in relation to funding for reviews and to ask how the current statutory guidance relates to reviews of suicides

  • Action - Cllr Kerby

7.6 Cllr Andrew Kerby also stressed the importance of agencies and partnerships taking forward a whole family approach when considering domestic abuse

7.7 Members of the group considered and agreed each of the recommendations in the report. They further agreed that should any cases being dealt with through other review mechanisms require a DHR, one would be undertaken

Resolved

  • the recommendations set out in the report were agreed
  • should any cases being dealt with through other review mechanisms require a DHR, one would be undertaken

No 8

Item - Review of Process for High Risk Cases of Domestic Abuse

8.1 Kay Wilson-White presented a report on partners’ work to review the process for high risk cases of domestic abuse which addressed lessons from domestic homicide reviews

8.2 Partners had developed a new approach that aimed to provide a quicker, consistent, coordinated and accountable response, focusing on the whole family and designed to improve outcomes

8.3 The new approach would be piloted in Dorset in February 2020 for a period of three months during which partners would make any modifications based on their experience of using it

8.4 It was confirmed that relevant partners had signed up to the pilot, that members of the MARAC Steering Group had been involved and that the approach had been considered in the development of the Council’s new contract for domestic abuse services

8.5 Ian Grant talked through the practical aspects of the new approach, using a case example to show how the new process will work and answered questions from the group

8.6 Members of the group were supportive of the changes which were designed to respond to the learning from several domestic homicide reviews

Resolved

  • the Dorset CSP recognised the work undertaken to respond to the DHR recommendation relating to support for high risk victims and supported the new approach that will be piloted by partners

No 9 

Item - Public Space Protection Orders (PSPOs)

9.1 Melissa Johnson presented a report on the current position in relation to PSPOs. The Anti-social Behaviour Crime and Policing Act 2014 enables Local Authorities, following consultation with the public, to implement PSPOs for their local area

9.2 PSPOs are aimed at ensuring public spaces can be enjoyed free from anti-social behaviour. Melissa noted that there are currently 12 PSPOs in place across the Dorset area with the majority relating to anti-social drinking

9.3 There was a discussion amongst the group about how PSPOs are resourced and enforced, including what could be enforced by Police Community Support Officers (PCSOs) and Community Safety Patrol Officers employed by the Council under the Community Safety Accreditation Scheme (CSAS)

9.4 Members of the group were keen to have greater consistency across Dorset in relation to relevant PSPOs recognising that greater consistency in the setting of orders leads to greater consistency in their enforcement

9.5 Cllr Gray felt that it was important for partners to tighten their interpretation of what was considered ‘reasonable’ when enforcing PSPOs

9.6 Members of the group recognised the important work done by CSAS officers and were keen to develop the scheme

No 10

Item - Arson Reduction Strategy

10.1 Gaynor Mant gave members of the group a presentation on Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service’s (DWFRS) Arson Reduction Strategy

10.2 Gaynor explained the impact of arson on the community and the service’s vision for tackling arson focusing on early intervention and prevention

10.3 Gaynor highlighted the importance of taking a partnership approach to resolving arson and welcomed the opportunity to raise its profile at the CSP. Cllr Andrew Kerby invited members of the group to offer their support and several actions were agreed:

  • Rebecca Kirk to help link Gaynor with the Dorset Waste Partnership (DWP) on the issue of fly tipping
  • Julie Deller to link with Gaynor on community payback. Tina Ridge will also cascade messages to the National Probation Service
  • Children’s Services already make referrals to the Youth Fire Setting Programme and would help link Gaynor to youth provision in the County. Members of the group who were involved in youth clubs and provision were also asked to cascade messages
  • The Fire & Rescue Service would attend PCGs to promote the message. Melissa Johnson to facilitate
  • Cllr KD Johnson would cascade messages to the DAPTC

No 11

Item - Forward Plan

11.1 Members of the group considered and agreed the Forward Plan

No 12

Item - Any other business

12.1 Cllr KD Johnson informed the group that the current Chief Executive of the DAPTC would be leaving in March and that the organisation was in the process of recruiting a new Chief Executive

Date of Next Meeting

10am, 9 March 2020 – location to be confirmed.

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.