The government has published guidance for the taxi and private hire vehicle sector to encourage drivers and passengers to travel safely. The Department for Transport has resources for taxi and private hire vehicle drivers to download.
Taxis and private hire vehicles (PHVs) can continue operating as normal, for passengers who are legally allowed to travel during the current restrictions. To help control the spread of the virus, you should remind passengers of the rule but you do not have to refuse to carry them.
Information for passengers
You should wear a face covering when using taxis or private hire vehicles. A taxi driver may be entitled to refuse to accept you if you are not wearing a face covering.
Keep a 2 metre distance from others during your journey, for example at taxi ranks. If you need to be near other people you should:
- avoid physical contact
- try to face away from other people
- keep the time you spend near other people as short as possible
Follow the advice of the driver. For example, you may be asked to sit in the back left-hand seat if travelling alone. You may want to check with your taxi or private hire operator before travelling if they have put any additional measures in place.
- use contactless payment if possible, or find out if you can pay online in advance
- be aware of the surfaces you touch
- be careful not to touch your face
- cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or the inside of your elbow when coughing or sneezing
- when finishing your journey, wash your hands for at least 20 seconds or sanitise your hands as soon as possible
Public travel during coronavirus
The government has published transport guidance for operators and passengers in England.
The guide for operators will help organisations, agencies and others (such as self-employed transport providers) understand how to provide safer workplaces and services for themselves, their workers and passengers across all modes of private and public transport. Each transport provider will need to translate the principles and examples in this guidance into specific actions.