Swimming teacher courses at Purbeck Sports Centre
STA Level 2 Award in swimming teaching (QCF) Includes safeguarding unit
This is the first of the two courses and qualifies you to teach a group of up to 10 swimmers who can range from complete non-swimmers up to the early improvers standard. The course consists of formal sessions with a tutor where practical teaching and theory sessions will take place. You will also have to complete a series of worksheets and some homework, so please set time aside for this work. The assessment of the course is by successful completion of the worksheets, by gaining at least 70% in a formal multiple choice theory paper and by passing a practical teaching examination which is conducted by an external examiner.
You will be in the pool every day, so swimwear, t-shirts and shorts are essential. Please bring your own refreshments, although there is a cafe on-site which serves hot food and snacks.
- be 16 years of age or older
- have a current membership of Swimming Teachers' Association (STA)
2, 9, 10, 16 and 17 February 2019
Cost and booking
£395 per person. Includes registration fee, written material, safeguarding and assessment. To be paid on booking.
To book a place, please contact:
Maria Timperley on 01258 880895 or 07721011461. You can also email on email@example.com
Level 2 Certificate in Swimming Teaching
This is the second of the two courses and extends the knowledge obtained in the Award course. This qualification allows you to teach groups of up to 20 swimmers who are in the Advanced/Competitive standard and includes the teaching of diving, rescue and survival skills, competitive starts and turns and in depth stroke analysis. Again the assessment consists of worksheets, a theory paper and practical examination. You also need to hold a recognised rescue qualification, a safeguarding children qualification and be a member of the STA.
- be 17 years of age or older
- have a current membership of STA
- hold the STA Pool Emergency Procedures or acceptable equivalent
- hold the STA Level 2 Award in Swimming Teaching or acceptable equivalent
- hold either the STA Safeguarding Children, Young People and Vulnerable Adults certificate (available on the Swimming Teachers Association websiteor acceptable equivalent)
16, 17, 23 and 24 March 2019
STA, Level 2, Safety Award for Teachers
This one-day lifesavers qualification is ideal if you are a swimming teacher, water fitness instructor or school teacher and looking for a qualification that will allow you to provide safety cover for organised swimming lessons.
On the course, you’ll learn basic rescue, first aid and resuscitation skills. Although holding a rescue/safety award such as this is no longer a pre-requisite for our swimming teaching qualifications, many swim schools still require this as best practice. So best to be prepared.
Benefits to you
Created by STA’s lifesaving experts, providing you with quality training
- Training is in accordance with HSE publication Managing Health and Safety in Swimming Pools and British Standard BS EN 15288 Part 2, Safety Requirements for Operations
- Regulated by Ofqual and Qualifications Wales
- Will give you the confidence and knowledge to deal with an emergency that may occur during swimming lessons.
Before you attend the course
You’ll need to make sure you’ve met the following requirements:
- be at least 14 years of age
- be able to swim 25 metres
- learners who cannot swim 25 metres must be capable of wading, and effecting a rescue, in a pool with a depth no greater than chest height
- be able to surface dive and recover an object from the deepest part of the pool
Length of validity
This qualification lasts for 2 years.
Take your qualification further
The Safety Award for Teachers is the perfect qualification to accompany a swimming teaching qualification – many swim schools require this as Best Practice. It’s also a great stepping stone into the world of lifesaving as you can take this course at 14 years old, then decide if you would like to develop into a full lifeguard qualification in due course.