Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Traffic counting and survey equipment on the highway licence

You must apply for a licence to place traffic counting and surveying equipment on the highway.

Any unauthorised equipment that is found could be removed immediately and returned to you once we receive payment of a licence fee.

Cost and payment

It costs £75 for each Street (denoted by a Unique Street Reference Number) where equipment is to be placed.

You'll be notified of the total charge before we request payment.

Conditions of consent 

  1. A licence is valid for a maximum of 14 days
  2. A £5m minimum public liability insurance is required along with street works accreditation
  3. A method statement should accompany the application
  4. The Licensee shall ensure that the equipment is installed and inspected by a competent and responsible person
  5. The applicant shall not allow the equipment to be placed any longer than is necessary
  6. Equipment must not be left in such a location that causes undue obstruction of the highway
  7. Equipment must be removed promptly upon completion of the survey (with 24 hours of the licence expiring) or whenever required by Dorset Council
  8. Faulty or dangerous equipment must be removed immediately upon request or will be removed by Dorset Council
  9. This consent cannot be taken as authorising the creation of a nuisance or a danger to users of the highway
  10. Equipment should clearly display a 24/7 contact name and telephone number, for public use
  11. The highway shall be left in a clean and tidy condition on removal of the equipment. Any damage shall be reported to Dorset Council and repaired in accordance with agreed details

Apply for a licence to place traffic counting and surveying equipment on the highway

You must apply at least 2 weeks before the equipment is due to be placed on the highway.

Rate this page

Have some feedback?

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.