Swanage - town centre enhancements
Highway engineers are working with Swanage Town Council to improve the pedestrian experience on Institute Road.
The scheme aims to improve safety and enhance the street scene, which has a heavy concentration of both pedestrians and vehicles in the same narrow street.
In June 2018, councillors and engineers held two drop-in sessions to discuss the options available with residents. Following this feedback, the location of the loading bay on Institute Road was altered and disabled parking was returned to outside the Mowlem.
Feedback from businesses on Institute Road has also been incorporated into the design where possible.
Work will start in January 2020 and will take around 20 weeks for the full scheme to be completed.
The work is being funded jointly by Dorset Council, Swanage Town Council and Section 106 money from developers.
- improving safety by widening pavements along Institute Road, for an enhanced shopping experience
- upgrading the pedestrian crossing on Station Road, with the road narrowed to provide a shorter crossing point
- rebuilding the traffic island on Shore Road, widening the road past the new loading bay and retaining the police bay within the island
- resurfacing entrance to Mowlem Lane from Institute Road and its pavements
Other elements of the scheme include: the introduction of ‘no waiting at any time’ along Institute Road and through the area of scheme, moving and shortening the loading bay on Institute Road, and removing five parking spaces on Shore Road to enable the pedestrian crossing improvements.
Traffic Regulation Orders for the changes of parking/loading bays will be published in early December, when residents will be able to have a final say during this legal process.
While work is carried out on Institute Road, it will be closed to traffic and some temporary measures will be needed to keep vehicles moving around the town:
- the flow of traffic on Kings Road East will be reversed to allow traffic into town
- kerbing will be changed on High Street to let cars turn from Kings Road East into High Street
- parking on High Street will be temporarily restricted
- section of High Street will become two-way with temporary signals in use
Pedestrian access on Institute Road will continue throughout the work. Institute Road will be left safe and tidy to provide good access during Easter and the May Bank Holiday weekends.
Smaller, local roads will become busier as drivers look to avoid the closure, please be patient during this time.