Volunteering opportunities in libraries for over 25s
Volunteer at Dorset libraries
There are different volunteering opportunities at libraries across Dorset. Apply to become a volunteer by completing this form.
Most opportunities for volunteering directly with Dorset Libraries are for young people aged 14 to 25. Young volunteers can be accredited for volunteering or we offer support if you are already working towards an award.
We are developing roles for adult volunteers in selected libraries. These are listed below as they become available:
Working with The Readerwe are supporting and developing Shared Reading groups in selected libraries. Read the role description. Full training will be provided.
We are particularly interested in developing groups in North Dorset (Gillingham, Shaftesbury, Sturminster Newton) Other areas may be available.
Other opportunities for older volunteers aged over 25
There may be volunteering opportunities in library settings with our our partners:
- Code Club helps children learn to code in a computer club at the library. You must be over 18 to apply, but there is no upper age limit. If you would like to apply as an adult volunteer, read the Code Club volunteer role description then go to the Code Club website and register online. You must complete the Code Club mandatory training before we can link you to one of our clubs.
- Royal Voluntary Service Home Library Service needs volunteers to deliver library books to housebound readers and help with book choices
- Digital Champions help adults get to grips with technology using the Adult Skills and Learning Superfast Dorset Digital Champion initiative
- Read Easy, working through community-based volunteer groups, offers a free, friendly, flexible approach to learning to read for any adult who either can't read at all, or who lacks confidence with reading. There are several groups in Dorset
- Dorset Reading Partners is a charity that recruits, trains and equips volunteer reading partners to support children with their reading development, working mostly with schools and occasionally with libraries
- We are Macmillan. Cancer supportvolunteers are at the heart of offering information support to the people of Dorset when living with and beyond cancer