Rewards and Benefits
There are plenty of great reasons to work for Dorset Council, these include:
Our structured induction programme is created to provide you with the information you need in the first few days, weeks and months with us. From an online digital induction to a face-to-face event where you will learn how your role contributes towards the vision and objectives that allow us to deliver more effective and efficient services for the people of Dorset.
Learning and Development
We want you to fulfil your potential at Dorset Council. No matter your role, we will encourage you to develop new skills and experience.
You will have ownership of your career development and you will be encouraged to seek out learning opportunities. This will be supported through constructive performance reviews as well as regular one-to-one meetings with your line manager gaining feedback to help you plan your career journey.
There are many tools and opportunities provided, among these includes:
Career development centre
An online portal jam-packed with interactive tools and resources designed to make looking after your career and your wellbeing easier. You can find out what genuinely motivates you, and how you prefer to work. You can discover the strengths that make you stand out, or the skills you want to develop.
Dorset Learning Online
An e-learning platform available to all employees providing a wide variety of modules including:
- supporting people through change
- interview skills
- career transitions
- prep for retirement
Your wellbeing and financial security are important to us.
Discounts and Savings
Our employee benefits package provides benefits and discounts, all designed to make your money stretch further.
- salary sacrifice schemes which save tax and national insurance
- discounts and cash back from well-known major supermarket chains and high street retailers
- local discounts with retailers and service providers
Flexible working arrangements and family friendly policies
Dorset Council believes that people do their best work if we make it easier for them to meet their personal responsibilities. We promote innovative flexible and part-time working to support and encourage anyone who requires this flexibility to balance work and life, supporting arrangements that suit the specific demands of your role.
We also offer a range of family friendly policies including enhanced maternity, adoption and paternity pay.
The council offers membership of the Local Government Pension Scheme (which is a career average scheme), or the Teachers’ Pension Scheme (which is a final salary scheme) to its employees, as appropriate. Both offer excellent benefits to support you and your family during your retirement. Membership is automatic unless you choose to opt out of the scheme, contributions are made by both you and the Dorset Council.
The LGPS is one of the most generous pension schemes in the UK. The LGPS is a salary-related, defined benefit scheme and will not be affected by stock market changes or performance of investments.
- a secure pension – worked out every scheme year and added to your pension account. Your pension account is revalued each year to allow for inflation and to keep up with the cost of living
- tax-free cash – you have the option when you draw your pension to exchange part of it for some tax-free lump sum cash
- peace of mind – your family enjoys financial security, with immediate life cover and a pension for your spouse, civil partner or eligible cohabiting partner and eligible children in the event of your death in service and, if you ever become seriously ill and you've been in the scheme for 2 years, you could receive immediate ill health benefits
- freedom to choose when to take your pension – you do not need to have reached your Normal Pension Age in order to take your pension as, once you've been in the scheme for 2 years, you can choose to retire and draw your pension at any time from ages 55 - 75 (these may be reduced if paid earlier than your Normal Pension Age, or increased if paid after)
- flexibility to pay more or less contributions – you have the option in the LGPS to pay half your normal contributions in return for half your normal pension. This is known as the 50/50 section of the scheme and is designed to help members stay in the scheme when times are financially tough. You can also boost your pension by paying more contributions, which you would get tax relief on