My food hygiene business rating
You will be supplied with a certificate and sticker showing your Food Hygiene Rating score following your food hygiene inspection. Currently only food businesses that supply food direct to the consumer are included. If you think your business should have been given a score and hasn't you should contact your local authority.
How is the rating calculated?
Following a food hygiene inspection by an officer, businesses will be given a rating for the standards of hygiene found at that time which includes an assessment of the following:
- how hygienically the food is handled - safe food preparation, cooking, re-heating, cooling and storage
- the condition of the structure of the premises - cleanliness, repair, layout, lighting, ventilation and other facilities
- how food safety is managed and documented - using systems such as Safer Food Better Business or equivalent
The national ‘Food Hygiene Rating Scheme’ - safeguards for food businesses guide provides questions and answers in order to ensure the scheme is fair to businesses.
- businesses who are rated have a right to appeal the rating given by completion of a Food Hygiene Rating Scheme - Appeal form 21 days from receiving notification of rating
- businesses can also request a re-visit if they have completed the works required by completing the Food Hygiene Rating Scheme - Request for re-visit form . Officers will not normally revisit within three months of the original inspection
- businesses have a right of reply which allows them to make any relevant comment around works they have completed since the visit or mitigating factors at the time of the inspection
The food hygiene rating scheme is not an endorsement of current standards but merely reflects the rating we awarded a premises at the time of their inspection. Nevertheless, we try very hard to make sure the information available on these pages is correct and in the case of the food hygiene rating scheme adheres to the FSA's brand standard.
Following an inspection it may take up to 28 days for the new rating to appear on the Food Standards Agency website.
Sign up to our newsletter
Sign up to our Gut Reaction newsletter and receive quarterly food hygiene and safety updates.