Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice.

NHS Test and Trace caring for a child support payment

From 8 March 2021, you can apply for a £500 support payment if you are caring for a child or young person who has been told to isolate. To be eligible the start of the isolation must be on or after 8 March 2021 and this scheme will run until 30 June 2021.

The child or young person must normally live with you and only one person from the household can apply. You may be able to make more than one application if you have more than one child isolating as long as the periods of isolation do not overlap. You will need to provide proof of the requirement to isolate and we will contact the educational or child care setting to obtain confirmation.

Who is eligible?

To be considered for a support payment, you must meet all of the following criteria:

  • live in the Dorset Council area
  • be employed or self-employed
  • be caring for a child or young person who has been told to isolate
  • be unable to work from home and will lose income as a result
  • currently be receiving Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, income-based Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit and/or Pension Credit.If you are not receiving any of these benefits, see the Discretionary Scheme details.

If you meet all of these criteria you may be entitled to a £500 payment into your bank account. Payments will be subject to income tax but not National Insurance contributions.

Apply for a support payment

To apply, you must provide:

  • your personal details and your child or young persons detals
  • details of benefits you receive (unless you are applying under the Discretionary Scheme)
  • your latest wage slip
  • an email from your employer, confirming that you are unable to work from home and will see a reduction in your earned income
  • a bank statement showing your name and the account details where the payment will be made. To validate your bank account details, we need to share relevant information you've given us with TransUnion. This will be used to ensure your support payment is paid to the correct bank account and to help prevent fraudulent use of support payments. This is not a credit check and won't impact your credit rating. Read more information on how TransUnion may use your data.

You'll need to have these details ready before your start. You can upload documents in the application form.

Applications must be submitted within 42 days of the start of your isolation period to be eligible.

Start now

If you don't have all of the details we need, you can still apply and we will contact you to request any outstanding information. This will delay the decision on your application.

You will not be eligible for the scheme if you:

  • continue to receive full wages while you are caring for the child or young person
  • can work from home whilst caring for the child or young person
  • the child or young person has not been told to isolate by NHS or their educational/child care setting

Discretionary Scheme

If you meet all of the criteria but you are not currently receiving one of the benefits listed, you may still be eligible under the Discretionary Scheme.

You must meet the following additional criteria to be eligible:

  • be resident full time at an address within the Dorset Council area - full time students are not eligible for this scheme
  • capital that you hold must be less than £16,000, for example, the combined total of money held in any form of bank account, savings account, shares, premium bonds, or as cash are counted. This list is not exhaustive
  • your average gross weekly earnings must have been between £80 and £290 per week in the 4 weeks prior to the child isolating

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.