Working in a different way
Life is feeling very different right now, and we know that there are lots of people out there feeling anxious about the coronavirus outbreak. We’ll be working together, supporting each other and learning as we go, using new and innovative working practices.
Here are some reminders that is ok to do other things while you are working at home. We will all need to take some time to find our new routine. Some employees may need to vary their working pattern, which can be discussed and agreed with your manager.
You might find it helpful to make daily ‘to do’ lists so that you have mini targets to work towards throughout the day. Then, when you’ve accomplished a certain task, you can treat yourself to a tea break or catch-up on that documentary that’s been on your TV planner for months.
Remember working from home will look different for everyone, and you don’t need to be glued to your laptop or telephone for 7 and half hours a day.
It’s ok to:
- make yourself a drink
- have a snack
- take several breaks
- talk to a family member
- juggle home working and home schooling
- put your home life first
- cuddle your kids, pet your pets
- play some music or have the TV on for company (all guilty pleasures allowed!)
- block out time to concentrate
- ask for help
- take calls with your camera off
- wear clothes you feel comfortable in
- talk about your home, family, plants, and your top 10 biscuit lists
- have online social get togethers, share jokes and laugh together
It's normal if you:
- feel less productive
- have days when you enjoy it, and days when you don’t
- want to read the news, talk about the news, try to make sense of the news
- ignore the news completely
- feel overwhelmed
And most importantly, be kind to yourself and as well as everyone else.