Keep learning during coronavirus
It's vital that we keep learning throughout our life as it has been found to really contribute to wellbeing. Being housebound is a great time to learn some new things. Learning doesn’t just mean studying for qualifications; you can build on skills you already have, update old ones or develop completely new ones.
If it’s work related topics you would like to learn, then head over to Dorset Learning Online for a comprehensive range of e-learning courses.
There are tons of free courses online, whether to help you in your work or just for pleasure. Just head to google and search for free learning and you’ll find sites like FutureLearn that may have what you are looking for.
TED Talks are always fantastic for learning new information…from changing your PowerPoint style to why the world needs sharks! The options are vast!
You could download a non-fiction book that covers a topic of interest, or buy one to be delivered.
If you’ve managed to get the ingredients, try cooking those new recipes you have been meaning to try; BBC Food might give you some inspiration!
How many of us learn things through social media now? Go to YouTube for tonnes of practical tips on DIY, painting or knitting and so much more. Want to learn a new language? BBC Languages or DuoLingo might help. Now is the time to start that new hobby or skill you have been meaning to do!
Listen to podcasts.
Learn to play a new instrument (this may not be too popular with your family!)
Take control: keep learning
Now is a great time to start that new hobby or learn a new skill you have been meaning to. Here are some thoughts on how you can take control to keep learning:
- make a list of 3 things you would like to learn to do, learn about or practice. Now which one will you focus on first?
- how are you going to fit it in to your daily life? Find time to commit to it.
- what are your barriers to stop you from learning? How are you going to overcome these?
- how are you going to motivate or remind yourself to take the time to learn?
- can you join forces? Connect with others who want to learn too and learn together!
- create your plan about what you’re doing, when and how often. Now you have something to follow